• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

office refurb costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I think at a push you could get away with the storage furniture if it’s primarily used as your home office and you work mainly from home.

My accountant was quite happy with me putting through most of the fit out costs for my garden office which is used 90% for business (I work from home almost exclusively).

I paid for the building costs personally. I didn’t claim for any of the building or decoration costs or for the electrics connection. Stuff I did put through the business directly included: hardwired Ethernet connection to the building (the cables and the socket for the office end), a business fibre connection (in the company name), desk and storage furniture, a small sofa, plant and small coffee machine and a few small bits and pieces.
    I agree with this. I claim the £4 per week for running costs but I'm about to change a bedroom into a new office space. Apart from anything else, I've got 7 years worth of Ltd. Co. paperwork to store.

It's entirely reasonable to fit out an office with office furniture even if it's only in use two or three days a week. I won't be using it for anything else but a work space. I will have a water cooler, coffee machine and office furniture just the same as a client's office has.

If HMRC decide it's not allowable, the worst that can happen is you have to pay the money back into your business account.

Comment

Just remember, as far as most equipment and furniture goes, it’s covered by the “insignificant personal use” rule that also covers common items of equipment like laptops.

As a rule of thumb if it’s something you need to do your work then you can claim it without worrying too much about personal use. If HMRC thinks you’ve mainly bought something for non business purpoeee they can disallow it.

There is a caveat, there is no equivalent rule for VAT. If you want to reclaim the VAT on this stuff and it’s not used primarily for business you may need to restrict your VAT reclaim accordingly.

I agree with everyone else though that anything that can be seen more as home improvements including decorating etc. likely to be disallowed or potentially be taxed as a benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        Apart from anything else, I've got 7 years worth of Ltd. Co. paperwork to store.
        Scansnap + Evernote. Nobody needs to store 7 years' worth of actual physical paper any more.

Comment

I think at a push you could get away with the storage furniture if it’s primarily used as your home office and you work mainly from home.

My accountant was quite happy with me putting through most of the fit out costs for my garden office which is used 90% for business (I work from home almost exclusively).

I paid for the building costs personally. I didn’t claim for any of the building or decoration costs or for the electrics connection. Stuff I did put through the business directly included: hardwired Ethernet connection to the building (the cables and the socket for the office end), a business fibre connection (in the company name), desk and storage furniture, a small sofa, plant and small coffee machine and a few small bits and pieces.
          Rightly or wrongly, I tend to take the view that if I'd pick it up and take it to another office space then I claim it. Apart from the ethernet and Internet, it seems like you took a similar approach.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            Rightly or wrongly, I tend to take the view that if I'd pick it up and take it to another office space then I claim it. Apart from the ethernet and Internet, it seems like you took a similar approach.
            Pretty much, yes. There's nothing here that I wouldn't have purchased for a rented office elsewhere.

Comment

My daughter wants her bedroom redecorated. Apparently she's now too old for pink, and instead wants a dark teal colour. This happens to be the same colour that I use for my company logo, business cards and web site. Sounds claimable, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                Scansnap + Evernote. Nobody needs to store 7 years' worth of actual physical paper any more.
                Can't be arsed scanning all the paper though. Time is money.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                  My daughter wants her bedroom redecorated. Apparently she's now too old for pink, and instead wants a dark teal colour. This happens to be the same colour that I use for my company logo, business cards and web site. Sounds claimable, right?
                  It is if you have enough paint left over from decorating your company logo, business cards and web site

Comment

I agree with everyone else though that anything that can be seen more as home improvements including decorating etc. likely to be disallowed or potentially be taxed as a benefit.
                    This. To my mind there's two very different things:
                    1) buying a desk, chair, filing cabinet etc which are all mobile and are very much typical office/work things. Yes they could be used personally, but they're not going to increase the value of your home.
                    2) redecorating a room in your house, new carpets etc. This will likely be increasing the value of your home. Yes you may be using that room as a home office for now, but there's fairly clear duality of purpose, and the business can't realistically take the carpet and the paint from the walls if you move.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      They all appear to have 'guessed' the same answer though
                      Flat-earthers all share the same belief too....
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X