• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MTD & VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTD VAT

MTD VAT will be the only way you can submit your VAT return after April the 1st, you will need to sign up for this. When I signed up I did have an issue in that it seems to have rolled all my logins into one (VAT, Payee and corp tax).
    If anyone is interested I join the HMRC developers and wrote my own MTD VAT bridging software for Excel and allows VAT to be submitted manually (with out a spreadsheet as per the soft landing period). This has been approved by HMRC (hence signing up to MTD) and I have now used it to submit a return, this software is free for anyone who want to use it (note its very basic but does the job I want it for). It can be downloaded from GitHub - kavina-systems/MTD: HMRC MTD VAT bridging / soft landing software

Comment

Originally posted by MrC View Post
      If you do all of the above signup process I presume that somewhere there is small print in the HMRC bit which says they will, if they see fit, pop over to your gaff with the heavies the day your invoice gets paid to demand their cut.
      I think reality is things will drift towards that. Ie HMRC getting more and more data, at closer to "live" status. We're still some way from that yet. At this stage the amount and frequency of data transferred isn't changing at all.

Comment

Mods - apologies if this is seen as marketing, delete post if you feel so. Hopefully it's useful for the DIYers as well as those with accountants where the user is more keen than the accountant to get on board with this.

We've written a blog post with step by step instructions on signing up your HMRC portal account for VAT MTD. The second part is about setting things up in FreeAgent, which I appreciate a lot, but far from all, readers of this site will use. If you use other software the last few steps will inevitably be a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
          I think reality is things will drift towards that. Ie HMRC getting more and more data, at closer to "live" status. We're still some way from that yet. At this stage the amount and frequency of data transferred isn't changing at all.
          Yes i feared as much. This looks like the thin end of the wedge then.

I can only begin to imagine all of the data mining and number crunching they must be planning to increase the speed and size of the tax take.

Comment

Take a look at the shopping list of data that HMRC mandates those of us who operate MTD compliant software collect on their behalf:

Fraud prevention - HMRC Developer Hub - GOV.UK

Comment

Originally posted by OhIllDoIt View Post
              Take a look at the shopping list of data that HMRC mandates those of us who operate MTD compliant software collect on their behalf:

Fraud prevention - HMRC Developer Hub - GOV.UK
              There doesn’t seem to be anything alarming there. What are you worried about?

Comment

Fraud Protecttion

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                Some of it does seem a bit excessive i.e. screen resolution, colour depth etc. However i think the HMRC fraud prevention is about you the client making a fraudulent return and if caught claiming its the software fault I couldn't read the value miss read the decimal place etc.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Not worried personally, but the seeming irrelevance of some of the data will worry others.

On another note, collecting this info does mandate that those of us selling MTD VAT software register as data controllers, with associated fees and obligations - even though we're just passing on what HMRC asked for. So, another piece of red tape to navigate (not that I'm expecting, nor indeed asking for, any sympathy)

Comment

I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to say I've released a bridging app on the Apple App Store's for both Mac and iOS.
                    Anyone that wants to be able to submit a VAT return from an Apple Mac or their iPhone/iPad can do it easily by having your VAT return figures in an Excel or Numbers spreadsheet or even a comma separated text file.

The start date for those needing to use MTD is your first VAT return that STARTS after April 1st, so nobody actually needs to submit a return until after the end of June 2019.

I've added an image that shows the dates everyone will need to start using MTD. I hope this helps.

https: / /vatmtd.com/images/mtd-registration-dates.png

Comment

I found a brill' utility to submit from Excel or Sage

MTDSimple

Not free, but very well priced and a doddle to use.

Google it if you are interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X