• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MTD & VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect - sounds good to me. Let us know when you are plumbed in

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Yes, ish...though I believe it's your first VAT quarter ending after 1 April. Eg so (assuming no further push backs) businesses with VAT quarters coinciding with the calendar year (31 Mar, 30 Jun etc), first one they'd need to do via MTD would need to be submitted in July/early August.

I believe HMRC have already basically said anyone a bit late or who can be seen to have tried won't suffer a financial penalty as they realise their own systems are a long way from perfect.
      I actually received a letter in the post from HMRC today confirming this, also confirming that I had set my MTD account up with FreeAgent.

Comment

I passed my conformance test with HMRC on Monday; XLVAT | MTD. Unravelled. is now connected to HMRC's production environment and available for use by those who have registered for the MTD pilot.

Currently putting together some demo vids and will post again when they're up.

Happy to give demos via screenshare in the meantime; Inbox me or get in touch via the email link on the website.

Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

Will this eventually be a costed product?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

After your first return, yes it will cost to use it. Unfortunately, I am not rich enough to build software for free :-( £10 per year if you file quarterly, £20 if you file monthly. Or £5 per return to pay as you go.

Pricing is on the website - see "How much does it cost?" on the About page.

Comment

Update

I registered for this free MTD excel add-in, & despite thoughts that it might have been vapour-ware, I've had a response recently 'Thank you for registering your interst [sic] in Avalara MTD Filer. Please look out for an email from us shortly to let you know more about how to download your free Excel 'add-in'. ...so it's a watching brief at the moment to see if it materialises, & (more importantly) free to use more than once.

Disclaimer: I have no association with this organisation
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                I actually received a letter in the post from HMRC today confirming this, also confirming that I had set my MTD account up with FreeAgent.
                As long as you have access in FA to submit your own VAT returns (and some accountants restrict this), it's no change once everything is linked up.

I did mine this month - biggest hassle was the accountant tried to submit it the old way, got an acceptance, and I got a rejection email the next day. Then I submitted it myself and it worked fine.
                I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
                  As long as you have access in FA to submit your own VAT returns (and some accountants restrict this), it's no change once everything is linked up.

I did mine this month - biggest hassle was the accountant tried to submit it the old way, got an acceptance, and I got a rejection email the next day. Then I submitted it myself and it worked fine.
                  I would have assumed you no longer need to enter your government gateway login details though, is that correct?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    I would have assumed you no longer need to enter your government gateway login details though, is that correct?
                    Correct-ish. You enter the HMRC gateway details once, into a "Settings" section of FreeAgent. Click a button, and it sets up the (semi permanent) link. Following that, when you submit a VAT return, you don't need to enter your gateway login details again.

FreeAgent have been fairly clear that you need to be careful to:
                    1) get HMRC to know you're on MTD and also tweak FreeAgent so it's on MTD, or
                    2) stick with the old way for both.
                    I haven't yet experienced what happens if you mix and match, but potentially DeludedKitten's post answers that.

Comment

I think I’ve got it all set up. My next return is due in the next week so let’s see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                      X