• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MTD & VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTD & VAT

Has anyone registered for, & downloaded this excel add-in from Avalara?
    They say it's HMRC approved, and more importantly, free.

Avalara MTD Filer FREE tool for HMRC’s MTD - Avalara
    Clarity is everything

Registered for this and several other 'Free' Excel Add-ons.
    So far all seem to be vapourware...

Now looking into possible pay as you go submission services

Otherwise its the monthly cloud accounting subscription route

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyedJacks View Post
      Registered for this and several other 'Free' Excel Add-ons.
      So far all seem to be vapourware...

Now looking into possible pay as you go submission services

Otherwise its the monthly cloud accounting subscription route
      What is vapourware?

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
        What is vapourware?
        Google not working in your neck of the woods?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Google not working in your neck of the woods?
          Yes just like being an arse is clearly in full bloom in your neck of the woods.

Comment

I have signed up to the next round of hmrc webinars for MTD, checked with my Gorilla accountant what I need to/should have done ready for April 2019. So far tumbleweed...My main question which I cannot find an answer for is when will a VAT return be due - aka at the moment a quarterly return is made. I pay by Direct Debit - so all good.

Will HMRC be looking at weekly/monthly invoices and taking VAT due (that they have calculated/or the FA s/w has) on a monthly basis?

Just a bit worried that HMRC will be dipping in using the DD - wondering whether or not to cancel the DD and wait for the payable amount to appear on my MTD account(!)
            Last edited by gwynfryn; 6 February 2019, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynfryn View Post
              I have signed up to the next round of hmrc webinars for MTD, checked with my Gorilla accountant what I need to/should have done ready for April 2019. So far tumbleweed...My main question which I cannot find an answer for is when will a VAT return be due - aka at the moment a quarterly return is made. I pay by Direct Debit - so all good.

Will HMRC be looking at weekly/monthly invoices and taking VAT due (that they have calculated/or the FA s/w has) on a monthly basis?

Just a bit worried that HMRC will be dipping in using the DD - wondering whether or not to cancel the DD and wait for the payable amount to appear on my MTD account(!)
              If you're with Gorilla you're probably on FreeAgent & if you already submit your returns through FreeAgent then you don't need to change anything.

Initially (for the first year at least) only the contents of Box 1-9 will be sent over to HMRC under MTD (plus name / period / vat number) and only on your normal quarter periods so they will get exactly the same info they always used to.

They don't intend for that to stay the case and detailed transactions will probably need to be sent in future but that shouldn't affect the frequency of return submission.

Comment

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
                If you're with Gorilla you're probably on FreeAgent & if you already submit your returns through FreeAgent then you don't need to change anything.
                Are you sure? I was already submitting VAT returns in FreeAgent using the government gateway login system but to prepare for MTD I had to follow this process:

Setting up for Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT – FreeAgent

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Are you sure? I was already submitting VAT returns in FreeAgent using the government gateway login system but to prepare for MTD I had to follow this process:

Setting up for Making Tax Digital (MTD) for VAT – FreeAgent
                  That's to sign up for the pilot, not for compulsory filing when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
                    That's to sign up for the pilot, not for compulsory filing when the time comes.
                    I think you still need to connect FreeAgent as it outlines in that article. My accountant told me it was necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X