• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor free days

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor free days

Hi all.
    I'm just looking for some legal advice. I'm a spanish self-employed that has been contracted by a English company. I have been sent with other contractors to Arizona (USA) for an event that will take place till 24th February. There will be two days without event so the company is forcing me to have 2 days off. However, they say that they don't have to pay me these 2 days because they are free days. I think that I have to be paid because I will have to stay here with them because they sent me and it's not my problem if they have not organised any work to do. Does anybody know any law or article that I could read to know who's right?

Thank you all in advance.

Originally posted by pmartin View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm just looking for some legal advice. I'm a spanish self-employed that has been contracted by a English company. I have been sent with other contractors to Arizona (USA) for an event that will take place till 24th February. There will be two days without event so the company is forcing me to have 2 days off. However, they say that they don't have to pay me these 2 days because they are free days. I think that I have to be paid because I will have to stay here with them because they sent me and it's not my problem if they have not organised any work to do. Does anybody know any law or article that I could read to know who's right?

Provided that they have paid for your accommodation throughout, I would expect this and be ok with it.

As to any law or articles - just look to your contract - that’s what counts here.

If you don’t like it, don’t sign up.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Provided that they have paid for your accommodation throughout, I would expect this and be ok with it.

As to any law or articles - just look to your contract - that’s what counts here.

Pretty much this.

I quite often go abroad for a two-week stint, fly out on Monday and back the end of the next week, with the weekend to myself. Accommodation is paid, but the weekend (assuming I don’t pick up the laptop) is not charged for.

Comment

They’re paying for your flights and accommodation and you get 2 days off to enjoy some cowboy fun.
        I’m not sure what the problem is.
        If you’re an employee then you have rights. You’re not so you don’t. Enjoy it.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

My contract says from 28th January to 24th February and the price per day. There's not anything about days off.

Comment

My contract says from 28th January to 24th February and the price per day. There's not anything about days off.
            Have you signed the contract?

If you’re not happy and you don’t care about future work with this client phone them up tomorrow and tell them you’ve changed your mind.

This is a business-to-Business contract, I don’t know if you’ll get any legal advice regarding the loss of 2 days pay, particularly when most of us would jump at the chance of a couple of days holiday courtesy of the client.

I know I did (the Rocky Mountains in my case).
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I know I did (the Rocky Mountains in my case).
              Had to put up with Cairo, Jo'berg, Dubai and Athens in one gig. I was furious
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

On one project, the project team were offered a gourmet meal at a Michelin starred restaurant, followed by a day paint balling. (Astonishing how many times the pm was shot in the back).

Afterwards, the consultancy company charged the client for the time of its consultants at the event. After a lot of wrangling, the client agreed to pay. And never used the consultancy company again.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You'll be paid for the days that you work.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Hi all.

As you are paid under commercial terms, you should have agreed in advance of the journey your fee involved to attend the event. The client can refuse to pay for the two days, if you have not agreed for this in advance, so your client is in a better position to negotiate what they pay you now after you agreed to attend with no clear billing terms agreed. There will be no applicable law that could support you apart from perhaps your contract which unlikely would cover such a situation, or any emails in writing discussing your attendance and your fees involved etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X