Contractor free days Contractor free days
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default Contractor free days

    Hi all.
    I'm just looking for some legal advice. I'm a spanish self-employed that has been contracted by a English company. I have been sent with other contractors to Arizona (USA) for an event that will take place till 24th February. There will be two days without event so the company is forcing me to have 2 days off. However, they say that they don't have to pay me these 2 days because they are free days. I think that I have to be paid because I will have to stay here with them because they sent me and it's not my problem if they have not organised any work to do. Does anybody know any law or article that I could read to know who's right?

    Thank you all in advance.

  2. #2

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmartin View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm just looking for some legal advice. I'm a spanish self-employed that has been contracted by a English company. I have been sent with other contractors to Arizona (USA) for an event that will take place till 24th February. There will be two days without event so the company is forcing me to have 2 days off. However, they say that they don't have to pay me these 2 days because they are free days. I think that I have to be paid because I will have to stay here with them because they sent me and it's not my problem if they have not organised any work to do. Does anybody know any law or article that I could read to know who's right?

    Thank you all in advance.
    Provided that they have paid for your accommodation throughout, I would expect this and be ok with it.

    As to any law or articles - just look to your contract - that’s what counts here.

    If you don’t like it, don’t sign up.

  3. #3

    Super poster

    meridian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,840

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Provided that they have paid for your accommodation throughout, I would expect this and be ok with it.

    As to any law or articles - just look to your contract - that’s what counts here.

    If you don’t like it, don’t sign up.
    Pretty much this.

    I quite often go abroad for a two-week stint, fly out on Monday and back the end of the next week, with the weekend to myself. Accommodation is paid, but the weekend (assuming I don’t pick up the laptop) is not charged for.

  4. #4

    Super poster

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    3,618

    Default

    They’re paying for your flights and accommodation and you get 2 days off to enjoy some cowboy fun.
    I’m not sure what the problem is.
    If you’re an employee then you have rights. You’re not so you don’t. Enjoy it.
    See You Next Tuesday

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    Provided that they have paid for your accommodation throughout, I would expect this and be ok with it.

    As to any law or articles - just look to your contract - that’s what counts here.

    If you don’t like it, don’t sign up.
    My contract says from 28th January to 24th February and the price per day. There's not anything about days off.

  6. #6

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmartin View Post
    My contract says from 28th January to 24th February and the price per day. There's not anything about days off.
    Have you signed the contract?

    If you’re not happy and you don’t care about future work with this client phone them up tomorrow and tell them you’ve changed your mind.

    This is a business-to-Business contract, I don’t know if you’ll get any legal advice regarding the loss of 2 days pay, particularly when most of us would jump at the chance of a couple of days holiday courtesy of the client.

    I know I did (the Rocky Mountains in my case).

  7. #7

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    38,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post

    I know I did (the Rocky Mountains in my case).
    Had to put up with Cairo, Jo'berg, Dubai and Athens in one gig. I was furious
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  8. #8

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    20,187

    Default

    On one project, the project team were offered a gourmet meal at a Michelin starred restaurant, followed by a day paint balling. (Astonishing how many times the pm was shot in the back).

    Afterwards, the consultancy company charged the client for the time of its consultants at the event. After a lot of wrangling, the client agreed to pay. And never used the consultancy company again.
    "Boom! Boom!" - B. Brush

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmartin View Post
    My contract says from 28th January to 24th February and the price per day. There's not anything about days off.
    You'll be paid for the days that you work.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  10. #10

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pmartin View Post
    Hi all.
    I'm just looking for some legal advice. I'm a spanish self-employed that has been contracted by a English company. I have been sent with other contractors to Arizona (USA) for an event that will take place till 24th February. There will be two days without event so the company is forcing me to have 2 days off. However, they say that they don't have to pay me these 2 days because they are free days. I think that I have to be paid because I will have to stay here with them because they sent me and it's not my problem if they have not organised any work to do. Does anybody know any law or article that I could read to know who's right?

    Thank you all in advance.
    As you are paid under commercial terms, you should have agreed in advance of the journey your fee involved to attend the event. The client can refuse to pay for the two days, if you have not agreed for this in advance, so your client is in a better position to negotiate what they pay you now after you agreed to attend with no clear billing terms agreed. There will be no applicable law that could support you apart from perhaps your contract which unlikely would cover such a situation, or any emails in writing discussing your attendance and your fees involved etc.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •