• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MVL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MVL

What are people's opinions on "Distribution in Specie" method of MVL if there is no outstanding Director loan and the company has just cash balance, as opposed to the normal method of transferring the money in estate account by liquidator and then giving it back to the director?

I have heard that HMRC are doing more investigations for "Distribution in Specie" cases - is that true?

Chris Maslin part owns MVL Online which a few posters here have used. The vast majority of us have never used it.

Might be worth giving Maslins a bell and asking him if he doesn't post on this thread fairly soon.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Most of this article is behind a paywall, but you should be able to see enough that Taxation magazine are aware of HMRC challenging the tax treatment of such cases.

Their argument is you took the funds before liquidation, ignore any arguments that you were just borrowing it at that point and the liquidator's paperwork post liquidation, and suggest that therefore it's taxable as a dividend.

Our view is therefore to avoid like the plague. It's more risky for the liquidator so they (including MVL Online) generally won't be keen, and you run the risk that virtually all the tax benefits of liquidating are negated anyway. Therefore my view is just be a bit more patient in waiting for the company's funds.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        Most of this article is behind a paywall, but you should be able to see enough that Taxation magazine are aware of HMRC challenging the tax treatment of such cases.

Their argument is you took the funds before liquidation, ignore any arguments that you were just borrowing it at that point and the liquidator's paperwork post liquidation, and suggest that therefore it's taxable as a dividend.

Our view is therefore to avoid like the plague. It's more risky for the liquidator so they (including MVL Online) generally won't be keen, and you run the risk that virtually all the tax benefits of liquidating are negated anyway. Therefore my view is just be a bit more patient in waiting for the company's funds.

thanks for the reply Maslins.
        Article says:
        HMRC is also understood to be charging an in specie distribution of an overdrawn directors’ loan account as income rather than capital.

If there is no overdrawn Director's loan account before starting the MVL, will the above be applicable?

Comment

Originally posted by MJa View Post
          thanks for the reply Maslins.
          Article says:
          HMRC is also understood to be charging an in specie distribution of an overdrawn directors’ loan account as income rather than capital.

If there is no overdrawn Director's loan account before starting the MVL, will the above be applicable?
          I have to admit I didn't fully understand your opening post.

If there's no director loan, then what distribution in specie are you talking about? Distribution in specie typically means the liquidator isn't physically transferring cash, but is doing some other kind of transaction with value. From your post I guessed you meant you withdrew the cash in advance.

Can you clarify in a bit more detail the situation you're considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            I have to admit I didn't fully understand your opening post.

If there's no director loan, then what distribution in specie are you talking about? Distribution in specie typically means the liquidator isn't physically transferring cash, but is doing some other kind of transaction with value. From your post I guessed you meant you withdrew the cash in advance.

Can you clarify in a bit more detail the situation you're considering.
            Sorry for the confusion. Below is the scenario:
            The company has stopped trading now, final accounts are being prepared by the accountant. There will be no outstanding liabilities, physical assets, an no overdrawn director loan account....just cash at bank.
            I am looking at the possible scenarios:

1. Going with the normal MVL route which will take min 8-10 weeks for money to come back to me.
            2. Going via distribution in specie route and take out the cash - get all the money out in this financial year itself

Need to understand the drawbacks on both options.

One doubt in my mind is that HMRC can / may change its rules on Enterprenural Relief next year (due to Brexit / General Elections etc.), so shall I rush and get everything sorted this financial year itself, or let the MVL process roll over to next financial year.

Comment

Originally posted by MJa View Post
              Sorry for the confusion. Below is the scenario:
              The company has stopped trading now, final accounts are being prepared by the accountant. There will be no outstanding liabilities, physical assets, an no overdrawn director loan account....just cash at bank.
              I am looking at the possible scenarios:

1. Going with the normal MVL route which will take min 8-10 weeks for money to come back to me.
              2. Going via distribution in specie route and take out the cash - get all the money out in this financial year itself

Need to understand the drawbacks on both options.

One doubt in my mind is that HMRC can / may change its rules on Enterprenural Relief next year (due to Brexit / General Elections etc.), so shall I rush and get everything sorted this financial year itself, or let the MVL process roll over to next financial year.
              1) I'd hope it wouldn't take as long as 8-10 weeks, unless a large chunk of that you're allocating to pre liquidation matters.
              2) To my mind this is a director loan situation, unsure why you consider it otherwise? You'll be taking out lots of money, before the liquidation, and trying to argue it's not a dividend. If that's not what you're proposing, then I still don't understand!

Comment

Working...
              X