• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small claims - Agency outside of UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    If they're based in India then you'll have to take up a legal case in India. Fook only knows how you do that, or who you have to bribe.

If they're actually based in the UK...... then you have to do quite a bit more before going to court. Count it is a last resort. Focus on:
    1) fulfilling the terms in the contract
    2) proving you've done 1 (by timesheet or other)
    3) Invoice correctly
    4) Follow dunning (Google it) processes correctly.
    5) If you then get legal, sort out your grammar or pay for a lawyer. Your grammar is terrible and won't help you if you have to do this.

If you actually do have a contract with an Indian company, based on Indian jurisdiction, then you're a fool.
    Thanks for that !
    I believe the accounts are based in India. The agency address and contact number was in London and that is where the recruiter who interviewed was based.

Court would be the last resort, I know that a few carefully worded letters or mails may jog them along.
    I do want to hold on to the contract as this is for a well known UK insurance company the first I have on my CV and will hopefully get me a foothold in to banking or more insurance based clients.
    I don't want to be chasing up payments every fortnight or waiting for the final payment when contract ends.
    As others have pointed out I know this is a new contract and there are always a few issues that need ironing out but these guys seem either new to the game or really unsure of how to progress things.
    They are still processing background checks from the 21st Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay69 View Post
      Which part of my post are you failing to understand ?
      Almost everything because you are so utterly incapable of expressing yourself clearly.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Thanks for that !
        I believe the accounts are based in India. The agency address and contact number was in London and that is where the recruiter who interviewed was based.

none of that is relevant.

What company do you have a contract with? Are they a company registered in England and Wales? Do they have a GB VAT number?
        You can find this on your contract.

It'll be near the top and go something like this...

This Agreement is made between:

<Agency company details>

and

<your company details>

blah blah blah ......
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

They are still processing background checks from the 21st Jan.
          This is another bit of drip fed information that could be quite important.

So far we have established:
          1. You are not entering timesheets on their portal. You are blaming the portal.
          2. Your invoice was incorrect. You say it wasn't.
          3. You submit invoices during the day that they allegedly cover - if you were working on 31st January, then the earliest that the timesheet and invoice could be generated is the close of business that day, so the earliest the agent would receive it is 1st Feb.
          4. Your background checks have not been completed, but you've gone onto site anyway.
          5. You have discussed your contract with the end client.

If I were you, I'd want to take a very close look at the contract you signed, as I suspect it will be fairly clear what their requirements are to ensure a timely payment.

Yes, your company could take them to county court. Remember, this is a business to business case, not a private individual matter. If that is something you are considering then make sure you get everything in writing/email. Don't phone them, do it all in writing. A solicitor who knows what they are doing will cost you around £250-£400 per hour. If it gets to court, a barrister will be around £5,000 a day.
          Your solicitor will want as much in writing as you can get, that is the best. You need to be honest with them.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
          X