• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK/USA Dual Citizen Question - Taxes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a bill in congress at the moment (submitted in Dec 2018) that may eliminate the reporting requirement for US persons living abroad. It's early days but worth speaking to your US tax advisor about.

H.R.7358 - 115th Congress (2017-2018): Tax Fairness for Americans Abroad Act of 2018 | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
    Tax Fairness For Americans Abroad Act of 2018 – A Residency-Based Taxation Bill | Rockville, MD |

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      But if you were my UK accountant and I told you I was getting US advice that sounded daft to you, I think I'd want you to say so.
      My response was:
      "Have to admit, whilst of course I bow to your US accountant when it comes to US tax affairs, what they're suggesting would apply seems ridiculously penal. I would therefore anticipate if it is correct, surely the powers that be would have this kind of situation pointed out to them and tweak before it becomes a reality?!"

I feel this is pretty much saying it sounds daft to me...but at the same time accepting that loads of countries (including the UK) have some daft tax rules. I'd be an arrogant twonk to claim I knew more about US tax law than their US accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        My response was:
        I feel this is pretty much saying it sounds daft to me...
        Yep. The guy should have gone for a second opinion after getting a response like that, if he cared about it. Maybe he didn't care given what you've said about his situation.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
          It's early days but worth speaking to your US tax advisor about.
          Or, if you are a US citizen, your Congressman.

Comment

Many, many thanks for the tips on what to look in and what to search for. I will do some research to get a better idea of the topic and then discuss with my Tax guy.

Being a dual US/UK citizen and living outside the USA does cause issues. But I am not keen on tripping over issues and getting caught up in the bureaucracy.

As a teenager back in Texas, while a bus boy, I made a minor mistake on "tip taxes". Took me a year to sort out with me sending money in and the IRS sending it back while someone else at the IRS kept sending me bills for the original penalty plus interest. Fun.

Will update here in case others stumble on this...Thanks all!

Comment

Working...
            X