• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Austria

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in Austria

Hello everyone

I'm a UK contractor with my own limited company. I've been offered the chance of a contract which will on the basis of two weeks in Vienna and two weeks from home. Does anyone know how this works in terms of where my tax liability would lie? I think I would be billing the UK based agency, possibly in Euros. I can find some stuff online that says the whole 183 days thing doesn't apply as your 'employer' is deemed to be the end client, but beyond that I can't understand what I would need to do, if anything. Thanks so much in advance!
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Originally posted by JulieM39 View Post
    I think I would be billing the UK based agency, possibly in Euros.
    You think? Worth finding out surely as it's pivotal to the situation?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you spend no more than two weeks in Austria I would say that could probably be classified as a business trip, especially as you will be working in the UK.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        If you spend no more than two weeks in Austria I would say that could probably be classified as a business trip, especially as you will be working in the UK.
        Thanks very much for your response. I just found out that the two weeks away are going to be a mix between Austria and Italy, i.e. a week in each, with the rest of the time in Edinburgh so I think this is okay.

Comment

There is lots of "thinks" going on in all of this. Surely it would be best to seek professional advice to be sure......

Comment

Are you saying that your contract is two weeks on site, two weeks from home each month?
            How long is the contract for?
            Where would be your base location?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Thanks everyone & apologies; I realise I was initially quite fluffy! I guess I was just trying to find out whether anyone was going to tell me that yes, I would 100% be liable for/have to register for tax abroad. From the responses that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm going to go off and have all the different variables confirmed & then speak to my accountant. Thank you again, I appreciate the input :-)

Comment

Originally posted by JulieM39 View Post
                Thanks everyone & apologies; I realise I was initially quite fluffy! I guess I was just trying to find out whether anyone was going to tell me that yes, I would 100% be liable for/have to register for tax abroad. From the responses that doesn't seem to be the case, so I'm going to go off and have all the different variables confirmed & then speak to my accountant. Thank you again, I appreciate the input :-)
                We’ll hang on a moment there :-)

There’s another thread on here that discusses a similar situation with the client in the UK but working in Ireland, with the result that workers may be liable from Day 1 for Irish payroll.

You would need to check if both Austria and Italy have similar local laws. A brief Google shows that there may be implications in Austria for non-residents (less than 6 months), and you would need to check not only payroll but also health insurance etc.

Comment

Working...
                X