• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts and Freeagent - what's your workflow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adubya View Post
    I used to scan the receipt on my phone, upload to google drive in yyyy/mm folder (for long term storage) then attach image to freeagent submission. Chucked paper receipt.
    This is what I do

Comment

pocket the receipts, bundle them all into a lever arch. Job done.
      Bank feed takes care of the accounting.

This is MVP.
      Why spend hours photographing and cataloging them? Life is too short.
      If need be the evidence is there and can be shown with a bit more effort if and when the time ever comes.
      This is JIT.

I'm such a great contractor I'm even applying the latest greatest methodologies to my expenses ...which reminds me i really must up my rate

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
        I used to scan the receipt on my phone, upload to google drive in yyyy/mm folder (for long term storage) then attach image to freeagent submission. Chucked paper receipt.
        I do similar. Use Scanbot app to create a pdf that auto uploads to one drive. Then attach to FreeAgent transaction.

It’s overkill but I scan virtually all paperwork to one drive, and then store the paperwork in date order.

Means I always have a pdf of the paperwork available on my phone /iPad.

Comment

I take a picture of my receipts on the FreeAgent app as soon as I get them. Icant imagine why you'd do anything else if you want a sane life.

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
            I take a picture of my receipts on the FreeAgent app as soon as I get them. Icant imagine why you'd do anything else if you want a sane life.
            Yep, scan, bin receipt, forget.

I try to do this, but often just shove the receipt in my wallet. So spend about 10 mins every couple of weeks catching up. Usually in the pub or while waiting for dinner when working away, so it's not like its extra time wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I don't understand the creating digital copies idea. It just adds more work IMO. Every other week I staple mine together, tot up the totals, write them on the top of the pile and enter them in to FA. Generally only food and tram, maybe consumables. Needs two or three entries into FA and file the pile in a file.

Takes minutes. I'm happy to keep the filing time to a minimum and spend the time digging them out if/when required. No point spending time dotting the i's for something I haven't had to do in 10 years.
              It's clutter, and lots of receipts fade. PLus they'd get lost in the event of a fire or flood.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                It's clutter, and lots of receipts fade. PLus they'd get lost in the event of a fire or flood.
                What if there was a fire AND a flood?

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  Well, you joke, but where there's fire there's water! It's part of why fires can be some insanely damaging, as even relatively small contained fires can see the firefighting causing lots of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                    And a swarm of locusts...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

So, the daily £7 from Tesco for lunch, 3 coffees at £2 each, and a tube ticket, do I need to keep the receipts?
                      FA seems to recognize them these days, what I do is I keep one receipt at every five transactions, just to prove that it's for meals while at work..

For pub meals that tend to be on the £15-20, I try to put them all in FA though.

Comment

Working...
                      X