• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hi! Confused on Contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    As an aside, in 20+ years as a contractor, I've averaged 7 months a year earning an income...
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't factor in 12 months. That's an absolute best case and not a reliable figure.

Contracting and perm/temping are such different animals you can't do a like for like. You have to factor in the nuances of each and time on the bench is one of those things that will happen so has to be part of the equation to get a realistic(ish) figure.
    Ok, quite possibly another thing based on my own experiences, and not aware of those of others.

For my part, I have been 12 months per year for the last 10 years. So apologies for the assumption.

Fair play.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      Ok, quite possibly another thing based on my own experiences, and not aware of those of others.

For my part, I have been 12 months per year for the last 10 years. So apologies for the assumption.

Fair play.
      More than enough threads on here that should prove to you that your situation is absolutely ideal and pretty uncommon. You've actually commented on one this week about a guy that's having to go perm because of struggles to find a gig. Go have a read of the State of the Market thread as well. No one in there (but you) has a 12 month track record.

The number of warchest threads should also tell you that it's a reality that should be factored in. If we all did 12 months straight for 10 years we wouldn't need warchests.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fair play.
        How many clients in those 10 years?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Eight clients, of which three have been visited two or more times in that period.

NLUK, indeed. Fully understood. And beware another upcoming assumption, only those looking would be commenting on the State of the Market. For my part, I would not be jumping in on the thread to smugly state, "I'm alright Jack." I'd be shot; even more so than my current input to the boards sustains.

So, it doesn't really tell me, or indeed anyone, who on this board is currently / always contracted. As a percentage of contractors then, am not sure how it plays out across the board. But, as said, mine was an assumption.

As for warchests, I absolutely have one. The past is in no way a guaranteed pointer to the future.
          Last edited by simes; 19 March 2019, 12:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            assuming 12 month contract
            assuming no expenses
            assuming no pension
            assuming 20 days holiday
            assuming no other time off
            assuming starting at the start of the new tax year

It's more like £57k take home. That's a lot of assumptions.
            It's more cash, but not a 'damn sight more'.
            How much of those things do you get through an umbrella company anyway?
            I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              assuming 12 month contract
              assuming no expenses
              assuming no pension
              assuming 20 days holiday
              assuming no other time off
              assuming starting at the start of the new tax year

It's more like £57k take home. That's a lot of assumptions.
              It's more cash, but not a 'damn sight more'.
              £41k to £57k as a % increase is roughly 40% more. If considering a pay increase in permie land which is more like 5%, I would submit it IS a damn sight more...

Comment

£41k to £57k as a % increase is roughly 40% more. If considering a pay increase in permie land which is more like 5%, I would submit it IS a damn sight more...
                But the OP won't get £57k since he won't do 12 months work, can't claim expenses and will have necessary bills to pay. He would be lucky to break even at the end of the year.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by deltadia View Post
                  Currently I am earning around 45K on a temporary contract with the same company (through a umbrella company).

They have offered 350 daily rate.

Also, would I be falling under IR35?

According to a contractor calculator, for a salary of £45k (which via an umbrella is what you are equivalent to) it says you would need an 'outside IR35' day rate of £210, or 'inside IR35' day rate of £264 to be no better or worse off. So £350 either inside or outside IR35 is 'winning'.

Safest course (seeing as you're currently on a temp contract so no guarantee of long term work with the client anyway) is to accept their offer but still contract via the umbrella. The client shouldn't care about this if they are being honest about their intentions (they will be paying only the £350/day regardless of how you operate), and it means you'll be operating inside IR35 so less risky for the client anyway.

Sorted.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Slightly curious about something... If you are on a temporary contract, through an umbrella (and presumably not as an FTC) you are already a freelance in the wide sense of the word - why are they wanting to change it?
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Really? Please explain.
                      40 weeks working a year, combined with a quick run through the various brolly calculators.
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X