• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newbie seeking advice - Contracting in Ireland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie seeking advice - Contracting in Ireland

Hello,

Newbie here so please be gentle.

Background information:

I have set up a limited company in England back in December 2018 to work as a contractor.
    I had been in full time employment under PAYE since July 2017 till the end of November 2018.
    I have not worked at all since 01 Dec 2018.
    I have been approached by an agency to work in Ireland for 1 year fixed term contract as a contractor very recently.
    I have never worked in Ireland or abroad as a contractor before.
    I intend to keep my house and home in the UK without renting it out.
    I need to be able to accept ad hoc contract work from another agency in the UK on top of my one-year FTC.
    I have done some research via Google with regard to contracting in Ireland as a director of a UK limited company, and have read HMRC's guide with regard to working abroad. My research kept bringing me back to this board.

Seeing I shall be working in Ireland full time for a year, I would appreciate your help and advice on the following please (no doubt there will be more queries later):

1. What would be the easiest way to get myself set up, so that I comply with the tax laws of Ireland and UK?
    2. Would I need to keep my UK limited up live/active in order to accept ad hoc home-based contract work in the UK?

Based on my research so far, I believe I should work via a Director Umbrella Company based in Ireland, as it is quick to set up, compared to 8-9 weeks time frame to set up my own limited company in Ireland.

I believe I can claim relocation expenses, up to 3-month rent plus initial travel expenses to Ireland.

I may also be able to claim daily subsistence dependent upon the distance between work and the rented accommodation. However, I am not allowed to claim for mileage.

I need to find out if it is financially viable for me to take up this or similar contract in Ireland.

I have approached Icon Accounting for help and advice, and they have been very helpful so far.

However, I would like to double-check with the experts in this board before I take a deep breath and jump right in.

Thanks for your help and advice in advance.

DK

Originally posted by dk168 View Post
    Hello,

Background information:

I have set up a limited company in England back in December 2018 to work as a contractor.
    I had been in full time employment under PAYE since July 2017 till the end of November 2018.
    I have been approached by an agency to work in Ireland for 1 year fixed term contract as a contractor very recently.
    I need to be able to accept ad hoc contract work from another agency in the UK on top of my one-year FTC.
    I have done some research via Google with regard to contracting in Ireland as a director of a UK limited company, and have read HMRC's guide with regard to working abroad. My research kept bringing me back to this board.

Seeing I shall be working in Ireland full time for a year, I would appreciate your help and advice on the following please (no doubt there will be more queries later):

1. What would be the easiest way to get myself set up, so that I comply with the tax laws of Ireland and UK?
    2. Would I need to keep my UK limited up live/active in order to accept ad hoc home-based contract work in the UK?

Based on my research so far, I believe I should work via a Director Umbrella Company based in Ireland, as it is quick to set up, compared to 8-9 weeks time frame to set up my own limited company in Ireland.

I believe I can claim relocation expenses, up to 3-month rent plus initial travel expenses to Ireland.

I may also be able to claim daily subsistence dependent upon the distance between work and the rented accommodation. However, I am not allowed to claim for mileage.

I need to find out if it is financially viable for me to take up this or similar contract in Ireland.

I have approached Icon Accounting for help and advice, and they have been very helpful so far.

However, I would like to double-check with the experts in this board before I take a deep breath and jump right in.

DK
    Icon plus directors umbrella Is the way to go.

Not sure about relocation and rent. Check with icon but do your own research.

Subsistence sounds wrong. Your client site is your base. Don't worry about travel if using public transport. Talk to icon about a taxsaver card for train, tram and or bus. This comes out of your pre tax income so in effect your travel is tax free. It is the only bargain in Ireland. If you are looking to drive, post again and I can advise.

Biggest question is whether you have really costed taxation and cost of living, particularly if based in Dublin.

Comment

Thanks Old Greg for your advice.

The job is in Cork, and I have had a look at the rental prices in the area before posting. However, thanks for the pointer.

In my budget, on top of rental, I have also included food/grocery and fuel cost; however, I have not budgeted for any entertainment.

Icon had provided me with a sample payslip of my net pay after tax deduction, based on the rate I provided to them. I use this net pay for budgeting purposes.

I had made a mistake with regard to claiming for a daily allowance - I mis-interpreted the information provided by Icon, in that it refers to working away from my normal place of work, DOH!!!

DK
      Last edited by dk168; 19 March 2019, 21:18.

Comment

Thanks Old Greg for your advice.

The job is in Cork, and I have had a look at the rental prices in the area before posting. However, thanks for the pointer.

In my budget, on top of rental, I have also included food/grocery and fuel cost; however, I have not budgeted for any entertainment.

Icon had provided me with a sample payslip of my net pay after tax deduction, based on the rate I provided to them. I use this net pay for budgeting purposes.

I had made a mistake with regard to claiming for a daily allowance - I mis-interpreted the information provided by Icon, in that it refers to working away from my normal place of work, DOH!!!

DK
        Cork is more affordable than Dublin and a fun city.

Comment

BTW, I am likely to take my car with me as I would need one to get out and about, and to use ferry crossing instead of flying, as I need my car when I am home.

DK

Comment

BTW, I am likely to take my car with me as I would need one to get out and about, and to use ferry crossing instead of flying, as I need my car when I am home.

DK
            Welcome to the world of pain...

Importing a vehicle into Ireland

You need to look into this, and decide 1) whether you can legally get out of registering your car in Ireland, and 2) if not, whether you can get away with not registering.

Comment

Hello,

Background information:

DK
              Hello there!

How is your case with Ireland? Already started? What have you choose at the end : umbrella or new Irish ltd company with you as a director?

Asking as I got an offer from Dublin, am waiting for a contract from the agency.. not sure what to expect though after all the reads on the website

Comment

Originally posted by mem1209 View Post
                Hello there!

How is your case with Ireland? Already started? What have you choose at the end : umbrella or new Irish ltd company with you as a director?

Asking as I got an offer from Dublin, am waiting for a contract from the agency.. not sure what to expect though after all the reads on the website
                Make sure you have properly accounted for taxation and cost of living in Dublin.

Comment

Beware of leprechauns

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                  X