• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 Month Rule - Working in Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 Month Rule - Working in Germany

Hi

I am contracting in Germany, and my contract might get extended beyond 24 months. I live in London, and travel weekly to Germany. I was living in temporary accommodation in Germany.

Does 24 month rule applies to overseas contracts? Can i still claim my travel expenses? Please advise

Thanks
    Deepty

In Germany from what I understand there is no time limit, but I would clarify with a local tax advisor.

I presuming you are taxing your income in Germany, because if not you'd better declare it, while you still can. If you have paid tax in the UK you should be able to get it refunded.

There is no advantage to taxing yourself in the UK, you simply just open yourself up to tax evasion in Germany.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Some basic information as to what tax regime you are working under would have been helpful. If you are being taxed in Germany an piece of UK tax legislation is likely not to apply.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

From a UK tax perspective, yes, the 24 month rule would still apply. As per above comments, I'd say your main concern is making sure you are complying with German tax rules and declaring your income appropriately.

Comment

50 pages of German tax misery here

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...an-cometh.html

But as others have said, if you are taxed in the UK, then the 24 month rule applies and you cannot claim expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            50 pages of German tax misery here

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...an-cometh.html

But as others have said, if you are taxed in the UK, then the 24 month rule applies and you cannot claim expenses.
            Unless the bridge between airport and client site is being repaired.

Comment

Working...
            X