• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensive Coffee Machine as Expense

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Or are you developing AI code for a fancy remote coffeemaid?

Comment

Originally posted by emanuelricardo View Post
      I am confident that I should be able to expense this coffee machine and book it as a business asset
      You shouldn't be
      but my accountant told me that I can't
      That's why
      I am pretty sure he is wrong or at least I really don't see why I shouldn't. Am I missing something, because I couldn't find any guidance by HMRC which would explain why this is not acceptable?
      You probably can't find any guidance because it's pretty daft question. They can't cover every conceivable eventuality. Thy hope when they put some guidleiness like this one..
      BIM37007 - Business Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

that people will read and understand terms such as

an expense has been incurred for a dual purpose. Such expenditure should be disallowed
      That you'll apply it with some common sense.

You don't need a coffee machine to do your job so it's not allowable.

And even if it was Cojaks comment covers it.

Spending £1600 is just taking the piss.
      EDIT : If you do get investigated and plan on opening you defense with
      As an IT contractor and software developer I need coffee to carry out my work.
      please record and post a link. Should be an interesting watch.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 23 March 2019, 17:25.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The wholly and exclusively rule isn’t the only thing to consider here.

By definition a company can buy something as a perk for its employees and that makes it wholly and exclusively for business purposes and allowable for a corporation tax deduction. It doesn’t have to be something they need to do their job.

The issue is whether or not it would be treated as a BIK which would result in a personal tax charge on OP.

IMO a small coffee machine kept in the home office and supply of coffee would not attract any attention at an inspection any more than buying a desk/chair/filing cabinet. A large expensive coffee machine kept in the kitchen would.

But nobody can say for certain. I think OP needs to think about this. I would take their accountants advice on this one.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 23 March 2019, 21:22.

Comment

Mods can this be moved to general? I’m sure the parody threads would be epic!
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Please do. Makes us honest folk look better in front of the taxman

Comment

Originally posted by emanuelricardo View Post
              As an IT contractor and software developer I need coffee to carry out my work. I cannot focus without caffeine and it is an essential thing for me to carry out the nature of my cognitive work.
              This!
              I told my accountant I need a line of coke every morning otherwise I cant function as a PM. He agreed its wholly and exclusively for the business and so I can now expense any deals back to my ltd. Go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeysUncle View Post
                This!
                I told my accountant I need a line of coke every morning otherwise I cant function as a PM. He agreed its wholly and exclusively for the business and so I can now expense any deals back to my ltd. Go for it.
                Isn't getting a VAT receipt a bit tricky?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Add as company asset, claim AIA on cost.

Flip side is benefit in kind at 20% of cost each year. Pay NIC on the 20% value. Then split benefit between business/private use and pay tax on the private use part.

No issues with this whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post

Flip side is benefit in kind at 20% of cost each year. Pay NIC on the 20% value. Then split benefit between business/private use and pay tax on the private use part.

You'd also have to apportion any VAT claim too.

The above would probably make the whole operation above board so long as HMIT accepts the business/private use split as realistic but you then have to ask yourself...what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post

It is more efficient to get your SIPP to purchase it via a holding company in the Dutch Antilles and then lease it to your company.

Comment

Working...
                      X