• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gorilla accounting. Are they that good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlecJ View Post
    I went through several accountants, and they were all just as bad as each other. The main problem was that i would always have to deal with a different person because of staff turnover.

Now i'm with a local accountant who i found by recommendation from the nextdoor app. I have to say he isn't perfect, but he's very knowledgeable, cheaper and always replies to my email within an hour or so. Now i'd never go back to one of the big companies.
    I joined Gorilla Accounting thanks to NLUK's recommendation. All my dealings are through the same individual, who I have to say has been absolutely fantastic in dealing with my stupid questions and keeping me up to date with goings on - a significant improvement on Brookson, where I did speak to someone different each time.

On the rare occasion my accountant is on holiday, someone else monitors her mailbox, but unless it's urgent they leave it for her to deal with which is great, as she understands the history of my account and is best-placed to deal with it.

As for the original question.... if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. If you're keeping 67% of your earnings after you've taken out your expenses, when on a permanent salary you'd probably be into the higher tax bracket, that seems like a pretty good deal to me!

Comment

I went through several accountants, and they were all just as bad as each other. The main problem was that i would always have to deal with a different person because of staff turnover.

Now i'm with a local accountant who i found by recommendation from the nextdoor app. I have to say he isn't perfect, but he's very knowledgeable, cheaper and always replies to my email within an hour or so. Now i'd never go back to one of the big companies.
      You seem hard to please - what 'isn't perfect' about him?

Comment

Not perfect and cheaper. Two attributes I would not be considering when considering an accountant.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i'm also with Gorilla..
          to be frank the first accountant i had was a shocker.
          such an attitude and totally unhelpful.

i called one day and he was at lunch and i spoke to another member of the team.
          they were totally different and was able to answer all my questions in a friendly manner.

I requested to be moved to the this other team member and I've been very happy since.

my account manager at Gorrila is a chap called Jack Kilroy
          top lad he is..
          so if your not getting any joy from your person at Gorilla ask to be transfer to Jack.

Comment

To be fair I'm with Jack. That's his sample answer when I asked for an advice.

I will not be able to confirm the most tax efficient way to extract funds from the company without confirmation of which option you wish to choose.
            [EDIT] I called him now and he is very helpful via phone, so worth to call instead of writing mails.
            Last edited by qbait; 27 March 2019, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by qbait View Post
              [EDIT] I called him now and he is very helpful via phone, so worth to call instead of writing mails.
              You don't say....

Glad you're managing to get things sorted now.

Comment

Been with them for 3 years. First year Sole Trader.

First accountant wasn't very good. Said I had to pay NIC plus my balancing tax payment, however I asked them wasn't NIC included in the tax payment, then they apologised and said I was correct. Could have paid thousands more than I had to! Once emailed me addressing me with the wrong name as well. I got the impression they stick you with the apprentice/graduates a lot of the time. Also, it was another accountant who did the actual company accounts? Not the one I dealt with day to day. They also gave me the wrong reference for my Corp. Tax payment, so I got a few letters from HMRC saying I hadn't paid.

Gorilla themselves moved me to another accountant who has been great since.

I have now been assigned another one as the new one is off for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not perfect and cheaper. Two attributes I would not be considering when considering an accountant.
                  What ridiculous logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Neo View Post
                    What ridiculous logic.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                    Elaborate further for me..

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Elaborate further for me..
                      Accountant 1: 100% accurate. Charges X. Tax = M. Net income = A.
                      Accountant 2: <100% accurate. Charges Y. Tax = N. Net income = B.

If X > Y and M <= N and B > A, then 'not perfect and cheaper' is better.
                      Last edited by Guest22; 31 March 2019, 13:43.

Comment

Working...
                      X