• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gorilla accounting. Are they that good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gorilla accounting. Are they that good?

I'm with Gorilla Accounting currently. I asked them to calculate for me take home pay and it's only 67% of my salary.
    Is not too low? I was expecting that taxes will be ~20%.

Originally posted by qbait View Post
    I'm with Gorilla Accounting currently. I asked them to calculate for me take home pay and it's only 67% of my salary.
    What do the online calculators say?

The answer is very individual depending on expenses, pension contributions, salary/dividend split, other employees/shareholders, other taxable income.

But to be paying only 20% tax you would be earning a very low rate.

Comment

I've just calculated it on an online calculator. And according to their calculation, I should take home 7000GBP more annually than Gorilla's prediction. Quite disappointing.
      Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:16.

Comment

Of your what????
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

This link discusses it in detail..

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...take-home.html

Rule of thumb I recall reading somewhere on this site a go by is 65-70% for a limited company,
          And this one
          https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ercentage.html

If you're only going to use your tax allowance (i.e. not your wife's) then you're probably looking at around 65% to 68% with a few expenses thrown in. Now that's assuming you pay yourself a reasonable salary of £15k (as opposed to minimum wage) and then take out all income as dividends.
          So you appear to be spot on. It think it's your expectations that are too high, not Gorilla's numbers. The calculators are far too generic to be taking your accountant to task with. It doesn't go in to any kind of expenses, assets and other things that affect the figures. Your nomadic lifestyle might also affect the numbers more than a standard contractor.... But you if you think a quick calculation on the web is better than a personal calculation done by an accountant why don't you ring them up and get them to go through it line by line so you fully understand it before hitting the forums?
          Last edited by northernladuk; 23 March 2019, 17:38.

Comment

So, accountants that promise more than 80% are dodgy?

Comment

Salary. Right.

Comment

Is 90% take-home pay achievable via a charity scheme?
                Last edited by northernladuk; 24 March 2019, 00:29.

Comment

Yes.

Simple, really. If you pay yourself in salary, you'll lose 25% after the first £8.4K to National Insurance and 20% after the first £12.5K to Income Tax. Not hard to see that doesn't leave you 80% take home. If instead you pay yourself in dividends, you'll lose 19% to Corporation Tax and, after the first £14.5K, 7.5% to dividend tax. That doesn't leave you 80% take home. And neither of those calculations take into account expenses, including the accountant's fee.

You can do a little better by paying a small salary and the rest in dividends. But if your accountant charges a normal fee, you aren't going to get to 80% unless your income is less than £20K, in which case his fee is probably too much for you to be paying.

Unless the accountant is advising you to join one of these really cool schemes, in which case he'll collect nice fees from you, you'll take home lots of money and not have to pay hardly any tax at all. And then, some day, HMRC will come calling and your accountant will be spending your fees watching the girls on some Mediterranean beach, and you'll be stuck.

Anyone promising more than 80% should be avoided.

Comment

Accountant

I went through several accountants, and they were all just as bad as each other. The main problem was that i would always have to deal with a different person because of staff turnover.

Now i'm with a local accountant who i found by recommendation from the nextdoor app. I have to say he isn't perfect, but he's very knowledgeable, cheaper and always replies to my email within an hour or so. Now i'd never go back to one of the big companies.

Comment

Working...
                    X