• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Trivial Benefits - payable per company/directorship?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Does anyone actually bother with the trivial benefits? How much differences for £300 a year mean to an average contractor.
    Not me.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does anyone actually bother with the trivial benefits? How much differences for £300 a year mean to an average contractor.
      It pays for our Christmas turkey.

Comment

I do. The wife loves flowers randomly now and again just because. Saves me spending my taxed income

Comment

Only took advantage of it for the first time last year and bought myself a £50 case of wine for Christmas and my wife (also a director) some chocolates.

I'd take advantage of it more if I could be bothered.

Comment

You can have profit of £400, pay CT of £76, pay a dividend of £324, and pay dividend tax of £24, and pay for these things yourself out of your £300 after-tax income. Or, you can have the company pay for them, have £100 left, pay CT of £19, pay yourself a dividend of £81, pay div tax of £6, and have £75 left. Multiply by 2 if your spouse is a director.

Works for me.

Comment

Rather spooky little thing that might interest someone...

This topic was also raised on the 13th of March 2018 which, as pointed out by Barrydidit, was two days after Mothers day. And it's raised again.. a day after Mothers day.. All these dutiful sons rueing the money they've spent on their mothers and trying to claw some back or something?

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ax-exempt.html
              Last edited by northernladuk; 2 April 2019, 10:04.

Comment

I must say I do like Maslin's approach to this (and the entertaining one as well). He opens his statement at the link below but is challenged and replies with his take on it. That advice sits very well within my risk tolerance. I can see the argument he's presented with about why not do it up to the limit but his approach is the one I'd prefer.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2538275

Opening statement

I personally would feel more comfortable with this. Seems a bit more like what a "real company" would do with an "actual employee".

Taking 6 x £50 vouchers, possibly even 6 days on the trot...well, it's small enough it'd never get challenged, and superficially it is to the letter of the law...but it doesn't sit right with me.
                and an interesting discussion continues.

Comment

I still hold that view. Some of our clients do take 6 x £50 vouchers every year and of course we don't stop them...we just don't actively recommend it as a blanket thing all clients should do.

Comment

My accountant recommended the 6 x £50 vouchers thing. I suppose the conflicting advice simply comes down to lack of clarity in the law combined with different risk appetites amongst accountants?

Comment

Originally posted by man View Post
                      My accountant recommended the 6 x £50 vouchers thing. I suppose the conflicting advice simply comes down to lack of clarity in the law combined with different risk appetites amongst accountants?
                      Nothing to do with clarity of the law. Its crystal clear.

Comment

Working...
                      X