• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online Conveyancing Services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online Conveyancing Services

I'm purchasing a second property & I'm thinking about using some kind of online service - any recommendations, experiences good/bad anyone could share?

My last experience using a high street solicitor was not especially positive - everything via snail mail & it took a lifetime to complete. Just thinking an online service could be quicker if not slightly cheaper.

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    I'm purchasing a second property & I'm thinking about using some kind of online service - any recommendations, experiences good/bad anyone could share?

My last experience using a high street solicitor was not especially positive - everything via snail mail & it took a lifetime to complete. Just thinking an online service could be quicker if not slightly cheaper.
    Used online conveyancers recommended by the bank (Nationwide) when I remortgaged.
    No issues whatsoever, online tracking of the process from start to finish.

Comment

IMHO, please don't do it.

Whilst I accept cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap, in our most recent property purchase it did. We used an expensive (relatively) solicitor, who in my opinion was decent. The vendor used Shoosmiths, a cheap online service. Throughout the process the vendor and our solicitor had to chase Shoosmiths, who consistently lost paperwork, forgot to do things, and eventually despite having exchanged contracts, the date of completion was a failure as they'd not noticed the vendor's mortgage offer enabling them to buy their onward property had expired...so we had to leave most of our stuff in a van for a few days until they could sort this out.

I think a bit like with immunisations, there's an element of one party in a chain using a cheap crap firm doesn't necessarily break everything, as typically the other elements in the chain will push and prod them to do stuff, and potentially notice errors on their behalf. However, if you rely on that, then basically you're being a selfish git, and if someone else uses the same logic IMHO there's a good chance the sale will fall through.

You may get lucky and get a decent cheap one, but to my mind if you're paying what's typically hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property, don't scrimp on a few hundred quid on solicitor's fees. Scrimping on estate agent fees...well, that's another matter, but mainly relevant for the vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        IMHO, please don't do it.

Whilst I accept cheap doesn't necessarily mean crap, in our most recent property purchase it did. We used an expensive (relatively) solicitor, who in my opinion was decent. The vendor used Shoosmiths, a cheap online service. Throughout the process the vendor and our solicitor had to chase Shoosmiths, who consistently lost paperwork, forgot to do things, and eventually despite having exchanged contracts, the date of completion was a failure as they'd not noticed the vendor's mortgage offer enabling them to buy their onward property had expired...so we had to leave most of our stuff in a van for a few days until they could sort this out.

I think a bit like with immunisations, there's an element of one party in a chain using a cheap crap firm doesn't necessarily break everything, as typically the other elements in the chain will push and prod them to do stuff, and potentially notice errors on their behalf. However, if you rely on that, then basically you're being a selfish git, and if someone else uses the same logic IMHO there's a good chance the sale will fall through.

You may get lucky and get a decent cheap one, but to my mind if you're paying what's typically hundreds of thousands of pounds on a property, don't scrimp on a few hundred quid on solicitor's fees. Scrimping on estate agent fees...well, that's another matter, but mainly relevant for the vendor.
        It's not just about the price for me - I want a speedier process with as much done electronically as possible. High St solicitors in this neck of the woods are living in the dark ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          It's not just about the price for me - I want a speedier process with as much done electronically as possible. High St solicitors in this neck of the woods are living in the dark ages.
          Have a chat with a few local solicitors re what you'd like, see what they say? I've got a feeling property purchases are one of a small number of things that cannot legally be signed electronically. Also anything that needs a signature to be witnessed typically requires a "wet" signature from a practical perspective. However, most communication they should be able to do via email if that's what you're looking for.

Comment

I used a hybrid approach a few months ago, bricks and mortar conveyancer but found via MoneySupermarket comparison to get a reasonable price. They were based about 100 miles away so all interaction was via email, telephone, or post.

The transaction was about as easy as it gets. No mortgage, no chain, property already vacant, funded from savings so easy to show source of funds for money laundering requirements, exchange and completion on same day.

Still dragged on for about 6 weeks. Mostly due to awaiting for paperwork from seller's solicitor, searches, and typical solicitor dragging heels querying everything to cover their backs.

From what I saw I bet the whole thing could have been done in a week if the inefficiencies could be removed, but then they'd want to charge for an 'express service' to compensate them skipping some tea breaks.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

. We used an expensive (relatively) solicitor, who in my opinion was decent. The vendor used Shoosmiths, a cheap online service.
              I don’t think they would take kindly to that... last I heard when I used to practice in the area they were one of the biggest firms on the South Coast!

Comment

Have a chat with a few local solicitors re what you'd like, see what they say? I've got a feeling property purchases are one of a small number of things that cannot legally be signed electronically. Also anything that needs a signature to be witnessed typically requires a "wet" signature from a practical perspective. However, most communication they should be able to do via email if that's what you're looking for.
                Rang round a few local firms and found one that gave me a decent quote and will do all comms electronically wherever possible. Wasn't actually that much more than the online quotes & they can probably get the local authority searches done quicker too. Sorted. Hopefully...

Comment

It's amazing how accommodating people can be when you tell them exactly what you want before engaging their services. And usually if you've been very clear, they'll carry through, too.

If only there were a way to do that with politicians.

Comment

Working...
                  X