• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reminders about paying tax from your accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add an annual reminder to your calendar.

Which reminds me, I must add an annual reminder to my calendar

Comment

Another thing which may help FreeAgent users, you can link the tax timeline to your Google/iCal/Outlook calendars. See here.

Only thing I would warn with the tax timeline generally, is it's just a list of deadlines, not a clickable to do list. This means:
      1) if you/your accountant pay/submit something nice and early, it'll still sit on that timeline until the deadline passes (sometimes causing unnecessary last minute panics).
      2) if you/your accountant forget to do something and the deadline passes, it'll disappear from the timeline despite not being done.

Comment

Originally posted by kilburnpup View Post
        Hi,

Just a question about what is good practice for accountants.

I received an email from my accountants in Oct 2018 around six months prior to the deadline in April 2019.

I was busy that time and it was from an operative I didn't know so I didn't even notice the email in amongst the many others in my inbox.

They did not seek to obtain a confirmation that I had received or read their letter.

They did not send any further correspondence or reminders.

They have now contacted me saying I owe HMRC the tax plus interest.

I asked why interest and they said because the payment is late.

They have full access to my bank transactions but more importantly did not even know if I was aware of what tax I needed to pay at what time.

When I asked them about this they explained it is the company policy not to obtain confirmation on any correspondence to save time.

Is this good/best practice for an accountant?

I am, as most contractors, a one man band and I have made it clear I rely on my accountants to keep me straight with HMRC so I can focus on fee earning and developing/maintaining my freelance work.

Would be interested to have your views on this..

Cheers
        Shop around for a new accountant who offers the level of service you want. No point dwelling on what's already happened.

Comment

Working...
        X