• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Director of Limited Company and freelance contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello
    I'm the director of a limited company, which is currently dormant and I'm planning to wind up. I have the opportunity of some freelance contracting, which I don't want to run through the business and I'm confused about whether I can be both a director of a company and self employed.. Anyone have any advice?

2 seconds on google could have answered this for you.

LMGTFY
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Being a director isn't that relevant. You can be a director but not shareholder or employed by the Ltd, so it is only when you are either shareholder receiving dividends or employed (PAYE) that it becomes relevant and then it's only about what tax/NI is due.

You can be employed by multiple companies at the same time (multiple PAYE) and also earn income personally (self-employed or less officially by receiving money for something such as a BTL).

All needs taking into account on the self-assessment and in the meantime check how the various tax/NI thresholds may come into play if you have multiple income streams.

Edit: Though you may find the option to do the freelance contracting as self-employed is not possible, depending on client being aware of potential obligations. Especially if an agency is involved. So using an umbrella may become necessary if you want to avoid using the Ltd.
      Last edited by Hobosapien; 15 April 2019, 13:20.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Quick Newbie Qs : I am getting into contracting based on my skills, rates and roles I will probably get a part time time. Can I pick up multiple contracts which may result in billing multiple Clients more than 35 hours per week say?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post
          Quick Newbie Qs : I am getting into contracting based on my skills, rates and roles I will probably get a part time time. Can I pick up multiple contracts which may result in billing multiple Clients more than 35 hours per week say?

Thanks

No you can't. That's not allowed.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TechRiskPartners View Post

Thanks

Why not ask your accountant?

Just before you open your mouth and confirm his suspicions, consider whether yor accountant can live pureply on the income from you, or whether there's a remote possibility that he might have another client or two. And whether that could result in him working long weeks, like at the end of January.
            Last edited by Lance; 16 May 2019, 08:33.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
            X