Another high profile IR35 loss for HMRC Another high profile IR35 loss for HMRC - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 43 of 43

Contractor Among Contractors

Wowsers! Does partly make you think "congrats", and partly "lower your prices then"!

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post
    WTAF! If I'm understanding that right, HMRC have only ever taken a handful of cases to court each year, and lost most of them.

So those of us that in the early days of IR35 thought of it as a voluntary tax, in that the risk of investigation was low, have been proven right.*

May as well save on the IR35 insurance and instead donate to those few unfortunate souls that get targeted each year, to cover their bill.

HMRC are relying on the threat rather than the reality of prosecution to frighten people into paying the IR35 tax. No wonder they don't understand their own legislation, they don't need to.

Since inception how much has HMRC received from IR35 and how much has it cost?

*I suppose there may be a large number of investigations that didn't get to court as the dues were paid.
    Is there a bit of confirmation bias going on here?

Those cases that go to court, are the the ones the punter expects to win. Otherwise their IPSE/QDOS/legal advisor/themselves advises them to fold and pay the extra.

So HMRC 'wins' every case of an individual paying back at PAYE rates, no?

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by Hobosapien View Post

May as well save on the IR35 insurance and instead donate to those few unfortunate souls that get targeted each year, to cover their bill.
    What you describe there is insurance. Just a mutual one.
    See You Next Tuesday