• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another high profile IR35 loss for HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would those type of stats be obtainable from HMRC via a freedom of information request? If so, anyone already seen the result of such a request?

Publication scheme - HM Revenue & Customs - GOV.UK
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
      Anyone got the stats on high profile HMRC wins this year? Would be useful for when I talk to my MP about it. By my reckoning they are either 2 wins from 6 cases or 2 from 7 in 2019 but I may have miscounted.
      IPSE press release says since the public sector rollout in 2017 HMRC have now lost five out of six cases.

Aren't they only meant to proceed if there is a good chance of winning??
      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
        Mods, not sure what Reputation Comments are, nor how they are used, and nor how they are cleaned up - but if you could be so kind...
        Many thanks. All cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Many thanks. All cleared.
          I see it as a fresh start
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedKitten View Post
            Anyone got the stats on high profile HMRC wins this year? Would be useful for when I talk to my MP about it. By my reckoning they are either 2 wins from 6 cases or 2 from 7 in 2019 but I may have miscounted.
            NLUK has already mentioned the site, but there is a good table here:

3 Aug 2001 12 Sep 2001 Battersby v Campbell HMRC
            01 Dec 2001 22 Jan 2002 F S Consulting Limited vs McCaul HMRC
            01 Oct 2002 01 Oct 2002 Lime IT vs Justin Contractor
            27 Feb 2003 28 Mar 2003 Synaptek vs Young HMRC
            15 Aug 2003 03 Nov 2003 Tilbury v HMIT Contractor
            01 Jan 2004 08 Oct 2004 Usetech vs Young (inc High Court) HMRC
            01 Mar 2004 29 Jul 2004 Ansell Computer Services Contractor
            23 Mar 2004 22 Oct 2004 Future Online (inc High Court) HMRC
            15 Dec 2004 17 Jan 2005 Netherlane Limited HMRC
            28 Jun 2007 05 Jul 2007 Island Consultants Ltd V Revenue & Customs HMRC
            23 Jul 2007 20 Dec 2007 Datagate Services Ltd Contractor
            20 Sep 2007 11 Dec 2007 Dragonfly Consulting Ltd HMRC
            26 Sep 2007 11 Dec 2007 MKM Computing Ltd HMRC
            01 Nov 2007 11 Dec 2007 First Word Software Ltd Contractor
            22 Jan 2008 19 May 2008 Alternative Book Company Ltd HMRC
            24 Nov 2008 15 Jan 2009 Larkstar Data HMRC
            08 Dec 2009 06 Apr 2010 Novasoft Contractor
            15 Nov 2010 05 Jan 2011 MBF Design Services v HMRC Contractor
            10 Jan 2011 24 Jun 2011 Marlen Ltd Contractor
            17 Feb 2011 11 May 2011 ECR Consulting Contractor
            12 Apr 2011 06 Jul 2011 Primary Path Ltd Contractor
            24 Oct 2011 28 Nov 2011 JLJ Services v HMRC Split case
            15 Nov 2016 27 Jan 2017 Armitage Technical Design Services Limited Contractor
            26 Sep 2017 14 Feb 2018 Christa Ackroyd HMRC
            04 Oct 2017 16 May 2018 Jensal Software Limited Contractor
            08 Nov 2017 19 Mar 2018 MDCM Ltd Contractor
            12 Nov 2018 20 Mar 2019 Albatel Limited (Lorraine Kelly) Contractor
            11 Mar 2019 16 Apr 2019 Atholl Limited Contractor
            Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:11.

Comment

WTAF! If I'm understanding that right, HMRC have only ever taken a handful of cases to court each year, and lost most of them.

So those of us that in the early days of IR35 thought of it as a voluntary tax, in that the risk of investigation was low, have been proven right.*

May as well save on the IR35 insurance and instead donate to those few unfortunate souls that get targeted each year, to cover their bill.

HMRC are relying on the threat rather than the reality of prosecution to frighten people into paying the IR35 tax. No wonder they don't understand their own legislation, they don't need to.

Since inception how much has HMRC received from IR35 and how much has it cost?

*I suppose there may be a large number of investigations that didn't get to court as the dues were paid.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 May 2019, 11:09.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                May as well save on the IR35 insurance and instead donate to those few unfortunate souls that get targeted each year, to cover their bill.
                Hehe, a nice theory...but if you're the unlucky one who got "caught", can you rely on other contractors to bail you out?!

HMRC are relying on the threat rather than the reality of prosecution to frighten people into paying the IR35 tax. No wonder they don't understand their own legislation, they don't need to.

Since inception how much has HMRC received from IR35 and how much has it cost?

*I suppose there may be a large number of investigations that didn't get to court as the dues were paid.
                As well as your * point, I think one key reason IR35 was retained was the extra tax incurred simply by fear of it existing. Ie there was an argument that if they publicly scrapped it, the floodgates would open with a few million more PAYE employees becoming Ltd Co contractors.

I think it's becoming increasingly common that many laws are as good as unenforceable. As long as the majority of people are still scared of them, those laws still serve a useful purpose. It's when the masses realise many laws are unenforceable and no longer fear them that we have anarchy!

Comment

That's pretty much exactly what insurance is.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                    That's pretty much exactly what insurance is.
                    True, but may as well cut out the middleman who may be making lots of profit on this.

Comment

True, but may as well cut out the middleman who may be making lots of profit on this.
                      Qdos Group Posts 51% Margin, Plus GBP7.1m Profits for 2017 – Insurance Edge

Comment

Working...
                      X