• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emigrating to Canada, working as IT Consultant for UK company.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
    If the work will be done in Canada, why don't you find a Candian IT agency via LinkedIn and ask them to negotiate a contract with your current employer ? Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Why use an agency? Why not go direct? When client and worker are in different countries and the work is done remotely, there's no reason not to.

I've worked from Switzerland for a UK company, remotely, via my Swiss limited company. I bought Swiss indemnity insurance which covered worldwide clients. No tax was due in the UK as I was never working in the UK. Dual taxation treaties are irrelevant.

If you can't set up for a reasonable fee a limited company in Canada, then you might be able to be an employee of the UK company, but be paid gross by them, including whatever the Canadian employers social contribution might be, and pay over the social contribution directly to the Canadian authorities. But that depends on Canadian laws/rules. The other alternative is to contract to the UK company via a Canadian brolly. It'll just cost a bit more - if you can, get your (former) employer to cover the extra costs. It's probably still lower than the 13% or whatever they pay in ERNIC + other expenses they'd have for a standard, resident employee.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
    X