• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employers NIC Allowance for last year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does YOUR company (which you are trying to reduce the NI bill for) pay someone other than you above the Secondary threshold?
    The company in question only has 2 employees as mentioned in the original post (so answer is NO)

Comment

Originally posted by ksareen View Post
      The company in question only has 2 employees as mentioned in the original post (so answer is NO)
      Then there’s your answer
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Or maybe just prettier?
        Not sure, there are some very pretty cartoon characters (Jessica Rabbit ?)

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

No it doesn't....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No it doesn't....
            I didn’t want to pick him up on that bit, he seems confused enough as it is

Comment

Does the second wage not take into consideration the part-time employment with another company? Because if it does, the threshold gets exceeded (please check numbers in the original post).
              What she earns for another employer is completely irrelevant. What SimonMac has told you is correct.

Comment

Guidance here which explicitly confirms what you've been told.

Single-director companies and Employment Allowance: further guidance - GOV.UK
                A company is no longer eligible for the allowance if:

only one employee (or director) in the limited company is paid above the Secondary Threshold
                that employee is a director of the limited company
                This means that companies with several employees, where the director is the only employee paid above the Secondary Threshold, will no longer be eligible for the Employment Allowance.
                You could, of course, increase her pay to the Secondary Threshold for this tax year and then your company would be eligible. Since she has other income, that additional pay would be taxed at 20% Income Tax, but it would not be subject to National Insurance unless you increased her pay further. And you would obviously be saving 19% Corporation Tax, so that would virtually cancel out the extra Income Tax.

Seems like a lot of hassle, though, and you might risk scrutiny of her salary as to whether it is a justifiable business expense. But as an officer of the company she has legal responsibilities for which she should be compensated, so HMRC are unlikely to ever challenge a salary at that level.

Your own salary level doesn't look very tax efficient. If you aren't going to use an accountant, you really ought to take a little time reading carefully from different sources as to what is the most tax efficient approach. Not every source is accurate but you'll quickly figure out who is.

I would guess you would be saving money with a good accountant -- I don't think you are getting it right on your own.

Comment

I would guess you would be saving money with a good accountant -- I don't think you are getting it right on your own.
                  This mess is a courtesy of my own accountant. I've never done this on my own!

Comment

This mess is a courtesy of my own accountant. I've never done this on my own!
                    Time to ask the accountant why he's recommended a salary of £13K, as opposed to a salary equal to the personal allowance (£11850 last year) or the National Insurance threshold (£8424 last year). If there isn't a specific and clear explanation as to why this is better for you....

Time to ask the accountant why he's recommended a salary for your wife of £2K+, if a salary up to £8424 wouldn't be much more tax efficient and justified given she has legal responsibilities that justify a larger salary. If there isn't a clear and specific reason....

I suspect you need a new accountant. But there could be reasons that justify these things that you've not told us and that your accountant knows about. So I would ask these questions first. If the answer is weak, change your salary (and the Mrs too) now, and either change your accountant now or wait until your next year end and then change. An accountant that isn't advising you well on contractor & spouse salaries can't be trusted to advise you well on other things, either. This is pretty basic stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X