• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going umbrella after MVL

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by youngguy View Post
    Are we saying that MVL might carry risks /may not apply if someone plans to close their Ltd and move to a brolly?

Having never looked into it, my uninformed assumption was always that as long as you didn't set up a new ltd (phoenix) this might not raise any questions.
    I think most would agree with you...though HMRC have made it clear (for example) liquidating a Ltd Co then setting up a sole trader business doing the same thing would be caught.

The problem is the wording is very vague. It talks about doing a similar trade or activity. HMRC have specifically stated (for example) liquidating an IT consulting Ltd Co to then take on a permanent job as an IT consultant would not be caught (barring some convoluted situations). They didn't specifically comment re umbrella.

Some people may argue umbrella is more like contracting than a permanent role, as can often be short term gigs, perhaps to do a specific project etc. However others will argue as legally you're an employee, taxed as an employee, it'd be safe. I fall into the latter camp, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Thread bump...

Are there any newer thoughts/opinions on the Umbrella-after-MVL scenario?

I'm mid-MVL after landing a pretty good permanent role. However as I'm approaching 6 months in the commute is grinding me down and the company culture/WFH options aren't going to be flexible enough I don't think (I'm going to ask the question but I suspect I'll be looking for something new).

I'm thinking that part time work/breaks between projects is what I need, otherwise I'm just going to retire early (could just about afford it), would be good to know if umbrella is a safe option or not.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

I recently took advice on this from my own accountant, and from a friend who is a tax partner in a major UK accountancy firm. Both were of the strong opinion that MVL -> Umbrella is absolutely no problem. As it turns out I didn't need to take advantage of this as several large clients in my field are routinely deeming their contractors (at least those in my fairly specific niche) outside IR35, but I would have had no concerns going MVL -> Umbrella if that hadn't been the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
          I recently took advice on this from my own accountant, and from a friend who is a tax partner in a major UK accountancy firm. Both were of the strong opinion that MVL -> Umbrella is absolutely no problem. As it turns out I didn't need to take advantage of this as several large clients in my field are routinely deeming their contractors (at least those in my fairly specific niche) outside IR35, but I would have had no concerns going MVL -> Umbrella if that hadn't been the case.
          I completely agree with this.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
            How about MVL and into Umbrella whilst still at the same client?

Comment

Client is irrelevant. The point is you've gone from being a business owner, to a simple employee of a firm in which you have no ownership interest.

Might or might not be irrelevant for IR35 purposes, but that's an entirely different matter.

Comment

Working...
              X