• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should you register for VAT is your turnover is less than £85K?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should you register for VAT is your turnover is less than £85K?

Hi All,

I'm currently contracting as an IT professional and am looking at voluntarily applying for the VAT flat rate scheme.

I would be paying a flat rate of 14.5% based on the work I'm doing.

I understand that I would not be able to claim back any VAT on purchases, but should make some money back through the difference of my flat rate vs 20% I'm receiving with my invoices.

My question is, is it worth me even applying for VAT? Am I missing something here that I will later regret? I spoke to my accountant friend who said never apply for VAT if you don't have to. He said you always end up paying more tax but I can't figure out how/why.

I know there's more paperwork involved but that doesn't worry me.

What do you guys think?

Are you absolutely certain your turnover now or anytime in the near future is not going to exceed 85k? What numbers are you expecting?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

AFAIAA, the only real benefit in the FLS these days is the reduced paperwork. There used to be a financial incentive that made it attractive, but that was squashed a couple of years ago.

I'd post an example FYI if I could work out how to use this antiquated forum software.

VAT is a PITA; avoid if you don't actually need to have it.

HTH.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        ...I'd post an example FYI if I could work out how to use this antiquated forum software...
        Ah... "You may not post attachments".
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

There's only a couple of reasons to avoid VAT:
          • Avoid extra hassle and paperwork (This is frankly minimal if you have a proper accountancy service)
          • If most of your trade is to other non-VAT registered customers
          • I suppose if you really have, literally, no VAT-reclaimable expenses

Most contractors have accountants who will deal with VAT with minimum fuss, deal predominantly B2B and will incur at least some expenses.

I've never bothered with Flat Rate, so I won't comment on that specifically but getting VAT registered is a no brainer IMHO.

Comment

VAT registration is hardly any extra paperwork
            If the answer to some of the below is Y it's probably worth register for full VAT (not flat rate)

Regularly staying in hotels?
            Having restaurant meals (or just fast food) when staying away
            Making lots of mileage?
            buying a laptop every 2 -3 years for your company?
            Having mobile in your company name?
            other expenses, parking, printers, printer cartridges, paper, postage etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by stark1 View Post
              I spoke to my accountant friend who said never apply for VAT if you don't have to. He said you always end up paying more tax but I can't figure out how/why.
              This only tends to be true if your clients are end consumers (not registered for VAT themselves).

If you'll be selling to VAT registered businesses, you'll virtually always benefit financially (though perhaps only marginally) by registering for VAT. The client will reclaim VAT you charge them. Therefore the only financial relevance is you can either:
              - reclaim VAT on your business costs, or
              - pocket a bit of your output VAT via the FRS.

NB I'd anticipate if you were to join the FRS it would be as a limited cost trader, so 16.5%, potentially with a 1% first year discount. Also be aware the FRS is on the gross invoice value.

It does lead to a bit of extra admin, but if you're using something like FreeAgent and are fairly good at admin, should be straight forward.

Comment

VAT is a PITA; avoid if you don't actually need to have it
                It is? With FA it's so simple I haven't even had to put enough through in to it to notice it's a PITA... erm.. if that makes sense.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stark1 View Post
                  Hi All,

I'm currently contracting as an IT professional and am looking at voluntarily applying for the VAT flat rate scheme.

I would be paying a flat rate of 14.5% based on the work I'm doing.

I understand that I would not be able to claim back any VAT on purchases, but should make some money back through the difference of my flat rate vs 20% I'm receiving with my invoices.

My question is, is it worth me even applying for VAT? Am I missing something here that I will later regret? I spoke to my accountant friend who said never apply for VAT if you don't have to. He said you always end up paying more tax but I can't figure out how/why.

I know there's more paperwork involved but that doesn't worry me.

What do you guys think?
                  In my experience, registering for VAT is beneficial if you have costs. You can offset part of your expense in most cases so that it comes out of VAT, so you save more. The is no longer any great benefit of Flat Rate Scheme unless your costs are very low, I believe. What that means is that on a day rate of 450 on normal vat HMRC will expect a VAT of £90, and on FR HMRC will expect a VAT of £66. so that is £24 / day and for a month that is about £528. (When you are not in on a contract and you still have VAT on your expenses you could claim these back on normal VAT for a refund I am not sure that can happen on FRS). So you need to check if that is worth it for you or not. Hope that helps.

NOTE: Retaining the above comment for posterity but for correct FRS charge and savings have a look at @Maslins comment.
                  Last edited by siphr; 30 April 2019, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by siphr View Post
                    What that means is that on a day rate of 450 on normal vat HMRC will expect a VAT of £90, and on FR HMRC will expect a VAT of £66. so that is £24 / day and for a month that is about £528.
                    Unsure how you got to these numbers, but I think it's far worse than that.

Assuming limited cost trader, and let's give benefit of first year 1% discount, it'd be £90 vs 15.5% of £540 = £83.70. So £6.30/day.

Without first year 1% discount, it's £90 vs 16.5% of £540 = £89.10. So literally just 90p/day.

Once out of the first year, from a financial perspective FRS virtually never works out better. Some people still prefer it as it means they don't have to worry about whether VAT was charged on that £3 sandwich/whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X