• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MTD and Taxable Turnover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTD and Taxable Turnover

Hi, with regards to the new MTD regs and threshold of 85k do you know if VAT should be added to turnover to calculate if above threshold ? i.e. for those part of flat rate vat scheme. Thanks

Are you sure FRS is the best for you? It isn't for many of us now.
    Nothing has changed around the way VAT works.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are you sure FRS is the best for you? It isn't for many of us now.
      I thought the general opinion was that if you're NOT a limited cost trader then it is worthwhile. BUT being a NOT a limited cost trader requires either :
      - the opinion of someone other than a qualified accountant, or
      - actually having a trade of goods not usual with an IT contractor business

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Nothing has changed around the way VAT works.
      MTD has changed it a bit. But not much.

If you're below the VAT threshold, but still registered then you don't need to use MTD (that's my reading anyway, but I don't care as my accountant mas provided MTD for no extra charge).
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        MTD has changed it a bit. But not much.

If you're below the VAT threshold, but still registered then you don't need to use MTD (that's my reading anyway, but I don't care as my accountant mas provided MTD for no extra charge).
        And anyone on FRS, irrespective of turnover, doesn't need to go MTD.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          And anyone on FRS, irrespective of turnover, doesn't need to go MTD.
          I'm not sure that's true?

Comment

Originally posted by matzie View Post
            I'm not sure that's true?
            VAT Notice 700/22: Making Tax Digital for VAT - GOV.UK

Section 4.6

Comment

If you are VAT registered, you have to go MTD.

Where in that section does it say otherwise?

4.6 Flat rate scheme
              The following rule has the force of law:

If you account for VAT using the Flat Rate Scheme:

you do not need to keep a digital record of your purchases unless they are capital expenditure goods on which input tax can be claimed
              you do not need to keep a digital record of the relevant goods used to determine if you need to apply the limited cost business rate
              If your software does not include a Flat Rate Scheme setting, and does not allow you to include a rate of VAT other than standard, reduced, zero or exempt, then you will need to record the supply as either one standard rated supply and one zero rated supply. Alternatively, you can record the sale at one rate and correct the VAT through an adjustment at the end of the period, using the same method HMRC will allow you to use to correct the VAT on a mixed supply (see paragraph 4.3.2 above).Further information on the Flat Rate Scheme can be found in VAT Notice 733: Flat Rate Scheme for small businesses.

Comment

And by the way, as is the requested due process and due diligence on these here fora, I Did ask an accountant to clarify before posting.

Mine was just a forwarding of links.

Happy to be proved otherwise. Go for it...

Comment

Working...
                X