• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banking Recommendations (Freeagent compatible) - Tide or others?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banking Recommendations (Freeagent compatible) - Tide or others?

I've had a look at some previous threads but there doesn't seem to be a recent one on this topic.

I'm just setting up my new Ltd company. Accountant is chosen and appointed but I'm procrastinating / over-thinking (?) my choice of bank.

Accountant uses FreeAgent so keen to ensure maximum compatibility on that front.

Had a couple of recommendations for Tide.
    Tide Business Banking for Contractors | Contractor UK
    However, I noticed they don't have FSCS protection. Their website says they don't need it as funds are held in safeguarded account and not invested, but I'm a bit wary. Anyone with experience of Tide?

Any other recommendations for banks with decent online service, good customer service and good FreeAgent integration.

Suggestions & feedback very welcome and appreciated.
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 15:04.

I'm with Santander and they've been pretty much spot on for the last 8 years.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Does your accountant provide a discount on the cost of FreeAgent?

If not, then look at RBS who will supply FreeAgent for £5pcm (exc banking transaction fees). The account opening process was a complete PITA for me as I already had a personal account with RBS and they confused the two, different sets contact details, but you may have better luck.

-- Edit --
      I should also point out that RBS now own FreeAgent.
      -- Edit --

I also have a Santander account because it offered free banking at the time I opened the account. Simple, if a little clunky, online banking. Worth what I pay for it... i.e. nada.

And Tide. Very easy account opening and great mobile app; would recommend if you have minimal requirements and need a business account in a hurry... a selfie and a couple of scanned documents and you're done.

Good luck.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

If your main criteria is Freeagent compatibility RBS/Natwest will be the choice, no bank will be better than these for reasons I hope I don't have to go into

EDIT: It seem Wattaj did go into
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Thanks for replies.

Anyone have experience of Starling for business banking?

Comment

Originally posted by Asmith View Post
            Seek and ye shall find... https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...light=starling
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Asmith View Post
              Thanks for replies.

Moved to them within last year, no issues so far.

I believe they have recently enabled FreeAgent integration, but haven't used it myself yet.

Comment

Seems the problem with Starling is can't have multiple persons of significant control. My LtdCo is 50:50 myslef & spouse, so looks like Starling is a no go for me. Seems that the challenger banks have their pros and cons. Tide accept multiple PSC but no FSCS protection; Starling covered by FSCS but don't accept co-owned companies. So trying to decide whether to accept whatever compromise they bring or stick to traditional high-street known bank. As I said in original post, probably over thinking it.

Comment

Starling will be adding multiple PSC support in the next month or two.

Comment

FSCS protection is basically worthless if you are with a big bank, if they go down you will get penny’s back to the pound

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X