• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First time contracting, looking for good accountants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I am indeed.
    Hows your experience been with them?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractingBrit View Post
      Hows your experience been with them?
      It's been spot on hence I'm still with them. I'm sure I'd have had the same experience with any on the new list that's coming out as well though.

Freeagent is the key though. Very intuitive tool and let's you do most of it yourself so as long as you do a bit of research from the start the tool does most of it. I only actually speak to an accountant a few times a year. All the options on my new list offer Freeagent as standard.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Good thought about getting the contract checked out.

Yes the firm hiring me said, my Ltdcompany can claim expenses from them.
        And that’s written in the contract “They” will pay expenses?

Engineer or IT or nurse makes no difference for IR35

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It's been spot on hence I'm still with them. I'm sure I'd have had the same experience with any on the new list that's coming out as well though.

Freeagent is the key though. Very intuitive tool and let's you do most of it yourself so as long as you do a bit of research from the start the tool does most of it. I only actually speak to an accountant a few times a year. All the options on my new list offer Freeagent as standard.
          Apologies, if I misunderstood but if the free agent lets you do most of it why does one need an accountant? Does Free agent lets you do what an accountant does by yourself?

thanks
          Last edited by ContractingBrit; 15 May 2019, 14:06.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            And that’s written in the contract “They” will pay expenses?

Engineer or IT or nurse makes no difference for IR35
            I am hoping to receive the formal contract in the next few days so will keep an eye out.

The reason I mentioned that I work for a private company in the railways is because I had read somewhere that if you worked for government funded organisations it will more than likely fall under IR 35 so for example if I worked for say London Underground as opposed to a private company. Is that right generally speaking?
            Last edited by ContractingBrit; 15 May 2019, 14:22.

Comment

I am hoping to receive the formal contract in the next few days so will keep an eye out.

The reason I mentioned that I work for a private company in the railways is because I had read somewhere that if you worked for government funded organisations it will more than likely fall under IR 35 so for example if I worked for say London Underground as opposed to a private company. Is that right generally speaking?
              No.

It is, however, a common misconception.

IR35 is tested end-to-end, so depending on where HMRC decide the fee payer lies in the chain the other intermediaries are ignored. So if they choose Railtrack (or anyone else subject to the FoI laws) then your defence falls at the first hurdle.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                No.

It is, however, a common misconception.

IR35 is tested end-to-end, so depending on where HMRC decide the fee payer lies in the chain the other intermediaries are ignored. So if they choose Railtrack (or anyone else subject to the FoI laws) then your defence falls at the first hurdle.
                okay. So will your accountant be able to tell if it is outside of IR35 or is it not their job? If not, who do you think can say for sure?
                The perspective firm clearly said it is outside of IR35.

Comment

Apologies, if I misunderstood but if the free agent lets you do most of it why does one need an accountant? Does Free agent lets you do what an accountant does by yourself?

thanks
                  Freeagent is a bookkeeping tool. Just does the adding up, allocation of stuff etc. Nothing more. It knows nothing about tax legislation etc.

Comment

okay. So will your accountant be able to tell if it is outside of IR35 or is it not their job? If not, who do you think can say for sure?
                    The perspective firm clearly said it is outside of IR35.
                    This is like pulling teeth. Read the newbie guides and the IR35 links on the right. It's all covered there. You need to know IR35 pretty well before you start and if you did questions like that one will be blindingly obvious. Start from the basics and do some of your own research

Comment

Great thanks for all the help and advice so far!

Comment

Working...
                      X