• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GDPR question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GDPR question

If a private commercial organisation that you are a member of shares your personal details with other third party commercial organisations, in order to provide you with services that you enjoy from being a member of that organisation, is it incumbent on that organisation to ensure that those other third party organisations do not share your details with even more organisations? I'm thinking what the Automobile Association might be doing with my personal details, as I'm getting unsolicited sales pitch mails from organisations that I'm haven't dealt with previously.

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    If a private commercial organisation that you are a member of shares your personal details with other third party commercial organisations, in order to provide you with services that you enjoy from being a member of that organisation, is it incumbent on that organisation to ensure that those other third party organisations do not share your details with even more organisations? I'm thinking what the Automobile Association might be doing with my personal details, as I'm getting unsolicited sales pitch mails from organisations that I'm haven't dealt with previously.
    No.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      No.
      It depends on what you've agreed to when you provided the data.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It depends on what you consented to when you signed up.

They should have a published Privacy Notice available that will provide full disclosure on what they do with your information. You have the right to object to any of it and to withdraw consent for marketing at any time.

They should also not be using pre-ticked boxes for consent where you have to untick it. Consent should be positively affirmed.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

First thing to do is to send them an SAR to find out exactly what they are doing with your data and then take it from there. If you do send an SAR be clear about what you want and restrict the request to just that to ensure a quicker turnaround and more relevant info.

Most places of that size now have granular marketing permissions that you can turn on or off as desired indicating your consent to receive. Probably buried in your online account somewhere.

Edit : SAR being a Subject Access Request

Comment

Originally posted by VelcroPower View Post
            First thing to do is to send them an SAR to find out exactly what they are doing with your data and then take it from there. If you do send an SAR be clear about what you want and restrict the request to just that to ensure a quicker turnaround and more relevant info.

Most places of that size now have granular marketing permissions that you can turn on or off as desired indicating your consent to receive. Probably buried in your online account somewhere.

Edit : SAR being a Subject Access Request

thanks all for the comments

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              It depends on what you've agreed to when you provided the data.
              No it doesn't.

Comment

Working...
              X