• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question regarding moving for work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S don’t let your agent/client know you have no registered address at the moment - as will raise red flags if bank like screening is required for new role

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

So OP, you intend changing permanent address every time a contract takes you out of the area? That will turn into a total pain very quickly, not least having to update the address everywhere and ensure the mail catches up with you.

When I was moving around often not particularly bothered about the location if the contract was right, and hadn't bought my own place or had any need or desire to put down roots in one location, I used my parents place for my official permanent address. Made it so much easier, and I was able to claim expenses for hotels or renting a place near the client for use during the week while working away from home.

This was before the issues with not being able to claim travel related expenses if inside IR35. So much more to consider these days than simply where you class your permanent home to be.
      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

I don't intend to move every contract, it just so happened I had a contract in MK that I was expecting to be ongoing that got canned after 6 months and am now back in London. Going forward I expect most of my work to be London so shouldn't be an issue again.

Comment

Working...
        X