• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Incompetance Costs Me Thousands - Options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MortimerBellends View Post
    What if that simply wasn't a viable option? It might as well have been on the moon!

I have a contract which clearly states the "Location where services are to be delivered". There's no legal options? Really? What's the point of the contract then?
    You bailed out on an existing contract in order to jump ship onto another that seemed to be more attractive... so, you might well ask "what's the point of the contract?"
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by MortimerBellends View Post
      Brief Details - I obtained a new contract, gave and worked my notice at old contract only to find out at 4pm on Friday that I couldn't start the new contract on Monday. Why? The agent got the location where I'd be expected to work wrong by 150 miles!!

Can anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction for actions I can take to seek recompense?

I still had 3-4 months left on my current contract so depending on how long it takes to find my next contract and how the terms compare on the next contract, the potential losses will be quite significant (£60K).

To make matters worse, the agent showed no compassion for their negligence, totally focused on themselves and their end client. Even had to gall to moan about having to work late on a Friday as he now needed to find someone else for his client
      I'd be pretty pissed off too that it took til the working day before to find that out.

How exactly did the agent come to tell you it was in a different location? eg. did they find out late themselves, and have to phone you to tell you. Did it come up in conversation (eg Agent: so which hotel are you staying in 150milesaway-town). Did the contract itself come through very late?

I must admit I would always assume the job will happen in the location of the interview unless someone specifically told me otherwise.

Comment

If it was me. I’d have driven the 150 miles, told the client that the agency has ballsed up and ask them for some help.
        One help would be for more £££
        Another would be to work from home the majority of the time.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          If it was me. I’d have driven the 150 miles, told the client that the agency has ballsed up and ask them for some help.
          But that's the business like way to behave. It's not for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            But that's the business like way to behave. It's not for everyone.
            I dunno, rocking up on day one and asking for more money doesn't seem a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
              I dunno, rocking up on day one and asking for more money doesn't seem a great idea.
              It does to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                It does to me.
                To be fair, it's better than the alternative of just not turning up at all.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  You bailed out on an existing contract in order to jump ship onto another that seemed to be more attractive... so, you might well ask "what's the point of the contract?"
                  I gave and served my full notice period as per contract so what's your point here?

(Actually gave them a heads up three times my notice period cos I'm such a nice guy )

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    As already stated, it might as well have been on the moon, so driving 150 miles wasn't an option.

To be clear, it was 150 miles from the contracted location NOT my home location

Obviously, there were discussions, no extra £££, some offer of future wfh but when you can't do the initial week(s) on the moon then this doesn't help

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      I'd be pretty pissed off too that it took til the working day before to find that out.
                      Thank you
                      How exactly did the agent come to tell you it was in a different location? eg. did they find out late themselves, and have to phone you to tell you. Did it come up in conversation (eg Agent: so which hotel are you staying in 150milesaway-town).
                      When they sent me the starting details, you know, who to ask for at reception etc. Also included an address that I queried
                      Did the contract itself come through very late?
                      Contract was in place before I gave notice but states the wrong address as 'Location for services to be delivered'
                      I must admit I would always assume the job will happen in the location of the interview unless someone specifically told me otherwise.
                      Telephone Interview

Comment

Working...
                      X