• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Incompetance Costs Me Thousands - Options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MortimerBellends View Post
    Telephone Interview
    I'm not sure how much more you can do than ask the agent where a role will be located before a telephone interview, which I'm sure you did, so I can understand how pissed off you must feel.

Did the agent give no indication of why it had changed?

I wonder if the location is really difficult to recruit for, and they have tried to be sneaky in hoping you'll just take the role anyway.

Comment

What does your lawyer say?
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

I gave and served my full notice period as per contract so what's your point here?

(Actually gave them a heads up three times my notice period cos I'm such a nice guy )
        My point, for clarity, is that you were contracted for a period of time and chose, for whatever reason, to not complete that contract... one could argue, without having further information as to your reasons for doing so -- reasons which may be entirely reasonable -- that you reneged on your earlier commitment.

One assumes that you would have been a project resource for the defined period of the contract and that management of the project would have been reliant on the project resources being available for it's duration.

Notice period or not, the project has to now re-resource an open position which will, in all likelihood, impact on its delivery.

Inconvenience all around IMV.

So, again, you might well ask "what's the point of the contract?".

I'm not going to judge, but I do think that you should take the lesson from this experience and quit whining.

HTH.
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          I'm not sure how much more you can do than ask the agent where a role will be located before a telephone interview, which I'm sure you did, so I can understand how pissed off you must feel.

Unless the location is local (so may as well go in for a face to face and suss the place out, you are interviewing the client as much as they are you) an obvious question for the client at interview would be along the lines of "I've been told the location I'll need to come to on day 1 is [what agent provided], how close is the nearest train station, or is there on-site car parking?".

Just basic questioning about anything worth knowing or unusual about going on site (how easy to find, local issues with traffic to avoid, security process, wait at reception for someone, ...) should uncover a mix-up in location pretty quickly unless you were unlucky and miscommunication continued throughout.

Otherwise you may turn up at client head office as detailed in the contract and be told no need to have made the journey it's a 100% WFH contract and all comms are via Skype and email.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
            One assumes that you would have been a project resource for the defined period of the contract and that management of the project would have been reliant on the project resources being available for it's duration.

Notice period or not, the project has to now re-resource an open position which will, in all likelihood, impact on its delivery.
            That too me is the point of a contract notice period. If a resource can't be replaced without impacting delivery then that notice period should be longer. As it is, I don't believe this is the case as I gave a heads up at THREE times the notice period BEFORE I'd secured anything else. I'm really not the mercenary you seem to believe I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Unless the location is local (so may as well go in for a face to face and suss the place out, you are interviewing the client as much as they are you) an obvious question for the client at interview would be along the lines of "I've been told the location I'll need to come to on day 1 is [what agent provided], how close is the nearest train station, or is there on-site car parking?".

Just basic questioning about anything worth knowing or unusual about going on site (how easy to find, local issues with traffic to avoid, security process, wait at reception for someone, ...) should uncover a mix-up in location pretty quickly unless you were unlucky and miscommunication continued throughout.

Otherwise you may turn up at client head office as detailed in the contract and be told no need to have made the journey it's a 100% WFH contract and all comms are via Skype and email.
              Those are good suggestions, avoids the candidate looking unprepared when asking about Start Date/Duration/Location/Rate at an interview given they are supposed to have seen a job advert, had discussions with agent, probably read a job spec etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

Well sure, but I probably wouldn't ask that in a contractor interview, more likely to query things like that after offer.

Comment

Brief Details - I obtained a new contract, gave and worked my notice at old contract only to find out at 4pm on Friday that I couldn't start the new contract on Monday. Why? The agent got the location where I'd be expected to work wrong by 150 miles!!

Can anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction for actions I can take to seek recompense?

I still had 3-4 months left on my current contract so depending on how long it takes to find my next contract and how the terms compare on the next contract, the potential losses will be quite significant (£60K).

To make matters worse, the agent showed no compassion for their negligence, totally focused on themselves and their end client. Even had to gall to moan about having to work late on a Friday as he now needed to find someone else for his client
                  TL;DR

This has nothing to do with the agent, claiming they are incompetent is like saying the sky is blue; its a give.

What failed here is your due diligence checks
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    Well sure, but I probably wouldn't ask that in a contractor interview, more likely to query things like that after offer.
                    Exactly but then you'd be in the same boat as me

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    This has nothing to do with the agent, claiming they are incompetent is like saying the sky is blue; its a give.

What failed here is your due diligence checks
                    Due diligence where?
                    • Job Advert - Check
                    • Discussion with agent - Check
                    • Job Spec - Check
                    • Interview - No (see above)
                    • Post Interview - Check
                    • Job Offer - Check
                    • Contract - Check
                    • Start Details 4pm day before - Hang on, what's this new location?

Comment

Working...
                    X