• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agent Incompetance Costs Me Thousands - Options?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief Details - I obtained a new contract, gave and worked my notice at old contract only to find out at 4pm on Friday that I couldn't start the new contract on Monday. Why? The agent got the location where I'd be expected to work wrong by 150 miles!!

Can anyone offer advice or point me in the right direction for actions I can take to seek recompense?

I still had 3-4 months left on my current contract so depending on how long it takes to find my next contract and how the terms compare on the next contract, the potential losses will be quite significant (£60K).

To make matters worse, the agent showed no compassion for their negligence, totally focused on themselves and their end client. Even had to gall to moan about having to work late on a Friday as he now needed to find someone else for his client

You have £0 claim on old contract from agent you gave it up willingly

You have zero claim on your new contract

It it was me I would have started 150miles away this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      You have £0 claim on old contract from agent you gave it up willingly

You have zero claim on your new contract

It it was me I would have started 150miles away this morning
      ^^ This.

It's obvious if one needs to keep the money rolling in in the short to medium-term.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
        ^^ This.

It's obvious if one needs to keep the money rolling in in the short to medium-term.
        What if that simply wasn't a viable option? It might as well have been on the moon!

I have a contract which clearly states the "Location where services are to be delivered". There's no legal options? Really? What's the point of the contract then?

Comment

Claim on your IPSE+ Business Interruption insurance.

Business Interruption Terms | IPSE

It looks like it would fall under...

•Where the contracted role is not as described by the Agency and/or contracted for by the member and the member’s contract is terminated by the Agency;
          It's only 2 grand but better than nothing.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How did the location not get confirmed at interview stage with the actual client?

Usually they interview where you are required, unless otherwise discussed and agreed, e.g. WFH or from a remote site.

Never accept the info regarding the client's expectations that the agency is providing as fact, always confirm with the actual client.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by MortimerBellends View Post
              the agent showed no compassion for their negligence, totally focused on themselves and their end client.
              Is that news?

Comment

150 miles might put you in Doncaster. You should consider it a lucky escape.

Comment

Make sure you confirm with the end client next time.

Comment

This agency...wouldn't happen to be "One of Europe's Leading Microsoft Recruitment Agencies" would they?

Comment

Working...
                    X