• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sponsoring a football team - allowable expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sponsoring a football team - allowable expense?

Hi
    Just wondering how this sponsorship would work in terms of expenses

The nippers football team is looking for a sponsor, and I figured I may be able to do it via Ltd co.

I did a bit of research and there seems to be some rules about not being involved in the org being sponsored (does kid playing for the team count as involved?)

And it must be for the purposes of business. Company name/logo will be on the kit so would be advertising.

Would this be allowable or am I likely to cause myself grief?

Thanks

Originally posted by Nut View Post
    Hi

The nippers football team is looking for a sponsor, and I figured I may be able to do it via Ltd co.

I did a bit of research and there seems to be some rules about not being involved in the org being sponsored (does kid playing for the team count as involved?)

And it must be for the purposes of business. Company name/logo will be on the kit so would be advertising.

Thanks
    1. Is the team registered in the Dutch Antilles?
    2. Can your kid get an appearance fee to use his / her personal allowance?

Comment

You're going to need a snazzy name and a farcical number of offshore intermediaries to disguise this "sponsorship".

But, yeah, football schemes are as safe as houses, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        You're going to need a snazzy name and a farcical number of offshore intermediaries to disguise this "sponsorship".

But, yeah, football schemes are as safe as houses, innit?
        May I humbly suggest the Oude Joris Max 120 On-Side structure?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          May I humbly suggest the Oude Joris Max 120 On-Side structure?
          Sounds promising. Is it QC approved and does the QC have a reassuringly well-groomed handlebar moustache?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Sounds promising. Is it QC approved and does the QC have a reassuringly well-groomed handlebar moustache?
            Handlebar indeed! I don't know what sort of louche operation you run, but here in the Dutch Antilles, we choose our advisers carefully.

Comment

Hi

Thanks
              If it's a small donation, for a genuine local team (i.e. not a scheme), it's fine as advertising. I have done a couple of teams for £25/£50. I get my company name in the match book.
              If it's for a larger team and involves match day tickets or other goodies, then best as business enterntainment. Just make sure you take clients occasionally.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Handlebar indeed! I don't know what sort of louche operation you run, but here in the Dutch Antilles, we choose our advisers carefully.
                I don’t always aggressively avoid tax, but when I do, I prefer my snake oil salesman to sport a monocle and novelty facial hair as a talking point for jurors.

Comment

I knew a guy who did this for his local pub side. He said he never got any business from it but got plenty of free beer from the lads who played in the team. He did it for a few years and said he'd get more back in free beer than the sponsorship cost him. It was tax deductible....but it was also 25 years ago, so things may have changed
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I've sponsored the local rugby club where my kids play in the juniors, as well as sponsoring barrels of beer at beer festivals in aid of both the rugby club and a different charity.
                    I've had different advice on how to account for this from different accountants at the same firm.
                    The first one wasn't keen on putting it through as advertising budget as he felt having my Ltd Co name on marketing material / rugby shirts etc wouldn't really generate any new business (I was inclined to agree), so I put that particular transaction through as charitable sponsorship (no CT relief in this case)
                    Recently the beer barrels have been put through as advertising budget as per advice from my new accountant, which does qualify for CT relief.
                    Obviously in both cases I'm avoiding paying income/dividend tax on the amounts donated.
                    I can't vouch for the legitimacy of either approach from an HMRC perspective, but I have emails from my accountants telling me how to do this.
                    Last edited by MrLoveBucket; 23 May 2019, 11:02.
                    Best 4g signal is in
                    [ ] Trap 1
                    [X] Trap 2
                    [ ] Trap 3

Comment

Working...
                    X