• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uk contractor in Germany via SWISS company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uk contractor in Germany via SWISS company

Hi

I need some advise please from the great and good here.

I understand that if I take a role (18 month) in Germany direct the German tax authorities want to take my money and it is best to go via a German umbrella company.

However my contract would be with a SWISS company and I would be paid in CHF. (Despite the role having an Eur day rate).

So question is. As I will not be Woking in Switzerland I don’t need a SWISS work permit but as the Swiss company is my contract link. Do I have to pay DE tax and go via umbrella or can I get away with keeping on invoicing the Swiss company from my Uk company?

I would be looking to move out to Germany and rent out my Uk home.

Thanks for reading.
    Twitter: jonsmile

You have to tax it in Germany. You need to setup as a "Freiberufler" (freelancer) either via an accountant or umbrella company.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks Blaster.

That is what I expected but the “via a Swiss consultancy” confused me slightly. I was ever hopeful I could avoid some tax
      Twitter: jonsmile

Comment

Originally posted by JonSmile View Post
        Thanks Blaster.

That is what I expected but the “via a Swiss consultancy” confused me slightly. I was ever hopeful I could avoid some tax
        No you can't, I'm afraid. It doesn't matter where the consultancy is, it's where you work. There is no opportunity to save tax, the German tax authorities will expect the full amount invoiced to be declared.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Couldn't the Swiss consultancy squirrel away a nice "bonus" into a numbered account?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Couldn't the Swiss consultancy squirrel away a nice "bonus" into a numbered account?
            The German tax authorities will check that the invoices match whatever he declares on his tax return. This is where you get caught, they routinely check contractor invoices at a client when they do an audit. So hiding behind a foreign consultancy won't wash.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

You fail the 180 day DTA test so you are liable for German tax.
              If it was less than 180 days then other criteria come into play.
              If you lived in Switzerland and worked in Germany, then there are other rules .

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Working...
              X