• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to go from Accountant to DIY Accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    No problem. Basic bookkeeping and accounts for a one-man company with a single client and minimal expenses is fairly simple.

However, as others have pointed out:
    - you may be missing out on claiming expenses that you don’t realise you can claim;
    - you may be claiming for items that are not deductible;
    - you may be liable to furnish additional returns (eg BIK) and not realise it;
    - you may be able to structure your business in a more efficient way and not know it.

A decent accountant can advise you on all of the above. However, at the end of the day it’s your decision as owner of your business whether to employ experts or not.
    That's great. As in my original post, this thread was to give a starter for 10, if I was to go it alone which you have kindly given me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by JtotheD View Post
      Interesting. However, this thread isn't general, it relates to accounting...
      yes, but in general, i could say what i think about your attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        yes, but in general, i could say what i think about your attitude.
        Ouch

Comment

JtotheD,
          I definitely would not advise DYI just to cut costs. You have to enjoy it and be even more boring and pedant than a typical accountant. And I agree with the advice that "independent sense check at year end" is essential. Just maybe for a few first years until you develop that sense.

It is important to know you are legally responsible for the accuracy of an accountant you appointed. So, as a director, you have to be able to DYI.

Accounting costs as a typical "From £109 + VAT" etc for one-director LTD is much over-priced and I understand that feelings "For what?" after I paid £10K over 8 years.

Maybe something up to £500 to review the End-Year accounts with your own free FreeAgent (with RBS) does make more sense.

P.S. I am DIYer and I am enjoying it. However I started that after many years of LTD running.
          Last edited by FK1; 28 May 2019, 00:50.

Comment

No problem. Basic bookkeeping and accounts for a one-man company with a single client and minimal expenses is fairly simple.

However, as others have pointed out:
            - you may be missing out on claiming expenses that you don’t realise you can claim;
            - you may be claiming for items that are not deductible;
            - you may be liable to furnish additional returns (eg BIK) and not realise it;
            - you may be able to structure your business in a more efficient way and not know it.

A decent accountant can advise you on all of the above. However, at the end of the day it’s your decision as owner of your business whether to employ experts or not.

This is spot on. There are plenty of options out there with regards to software you can use to meet your company's obligations, which are very easy to use and make the technical side a breeze. The real benefit of an accountant comes from the knowledge and advice they give, which is gained over many years of training and experience.

If you really want to DIY, take the time to do your research before making the jump.
            www.inniaccounts.co.uk

Comment

This is all you need to get started.

Tax guide:

Amazon.co.uk : tolleys tax guide

Key dates and critical information:

Business and self-employed - GOV.UK
              many thanks for this. I just registered with the forum as i m deciding to act as a ltd to claim business millege but agency sugggests i should go for paye.

thanks again,
              Ron
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 14 August 2020, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by tsuyoshi View Post
                many thanks for this. I just registered with the forum as i m deciding to act as a ltd to claim business millege but agency sugggests i should go for paye.

thanks again,
                Ron
                If your agency advises that it’s because your contract is probably inside IR35 and you shouldn’t be paying yourself expenses.

But the books and websites will tell you all about this I’m sure...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                X