• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT bill refunded?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT bill refunded?

Checking my accounts today and note an automated refund was received on Friday for the whole amount of my VAT bill for Q1 of 2019.

The original bill payment was made on time near the beginning of April and was not due until May.

Have asked my accountant why but still waiting on response.

Never happened to me before, anyone know why this might have occurred or happened to them before?

Anything to do with MTD? . We've had posts about problems with direct debits but no one has mentioned a refund.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I wondered the same initially, although if there had been an issue I would have expected a letter from HMRC in the first instance.

Comment

It's possible that because you paid it a month early that HMRC's systems have noted the credit and refunded you. Had the VAT return been submitted and received prior to the payment?

It might be simpler going forward to simply set up a Direct Debit and let HMRC take the payment when it's due.

Comment

I wonder if the return had gone through okay with HMRC? The VAT office do seem to be the quickest office at sending refunds so a credit on their records would normally be from two payments being made or a return specifically with refund figures on.

KR
          Sophie
          Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Working...
          X