• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can salary be put on hold?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nigelnoggins View Post
    I usually pay myself monthly through my limited company, but if I want to start an employed job (nothing to do with the company) can I put my company salary on hold?
    Ask your limited company's HR department. If they don't have one, ask the CEO. If they don't have one, appoint an unpaid CEO for a day, ask him if you can do this. If he says no fire him and appoint someone else. If you can't find anyone who as CEO will work for free and do your bidding, as a last resort, appoint yourself as the janitor in the HR department and forge a response from the head of HR saying it is fine. Then, resign as janitor before your company's security department finds out what you've done. Or appoint yourself head of security and squelch the investigation. But whatever you do, don't pay yourself a janitor's salary or an HR head salary or a CEO salary, that would just make things worse.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      Ask your limited company's HR department. If they don't have one, ask the CEO. If they don't have one, appoint an unpaid CEO for a day, ask him if you can do this. If he says no fire him and appoint someone else. If you can't find anyone who as CEO will work for free and do your bidding, as a last resort, appoint yourself as the janitor in the HR department and forge a response from the head of HR saying it is fine. Then, resign as janitor before your company's security department finds out what you've done. Or appoint yourself head of security and squelch the investigation. But whatever you do, don't pay yourself a janitor's salary or an HR head salary or a CEO salary, that would just make things worse.
      Let me translate that for you. "Yes, you can".
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

There's a handy option in Sage One Payroll where you tick a box marked 'do not pay' when you're processing the pay run. It then completes as normal and send off all the bits and pieces. I would expect all payroll software to have the same facility.

You have to do your usual RTI to HMRC but it becomes a nil return to inform them that you just haven't forgotten to do the payroll for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by nigelnoggins View Post
          I usually pay myself monthly through my limited company, but if I want to start an employed job (nothing to do with the company) can I put my company salary on hold? (I just want enough money to live and don't want to go over the threshold and pay more tax with the two salaries combined). And what's the procedure? Do I need to notify HMRC in some way?

I did a search on Google but not really getting what I want.

Thanks
          Yes you can. Produce a P45 for your new employer when they ask for one and when you file your next RTI, HMRC will pick it up from there and file an EPS each month from your company when you don't have a salary or employees. Nice and straight forward.

Comment

Working...
          X