• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from home - in Cambodia. Implications to Ltd company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from home - in Cambodia. Implications to Ltd company?

Yeah I know, ask my accountant, but this is more a random musing.

I contract pretty much entirely so I can control when and where I work, I generally do 3 months on, then go backpack for 2 or 3 weeks, then repeat. My current contract is likely to extend due to new projects cropping up other parts of the company (IR35 friendly, will finish contract, then take separate one in another department for different roles etc.) Next project will be very much working from home friendly. I have a few friends who live in Vietnam and Thailand working for UK companies, doing UK hours and that is tempting me. I just got back from Phnom Penh where I was looking I can get a flat for USD200 a month including wifi, air con etc. If I can set up my next contract as fully work remote I may as well put all my stuff in storage and go live in Hanoi / Phnom Penh / Mandalay where I have friends living and enjoy the sun.

I was just wondering the implications for doing this from a tax perspective. Realistically I would just stay on a tourist visa, doing monthly Visa runs, probably fly back to the UK every 6-8 weeks for project catch ups on site etc. Does location where you work have any implications on my company? As I would be contracting for UK company, through UK Ltd, paid in Pounds and nominally working for a UK site would I just carry on as normal?

In Asia I know they won't care, it won't crop up as I will be on short stay visas probably changing countries once a month, but is there any implication from the UK side? Apart from obviously not claiming commute costs anymore...

Just musing straight back at you it sounds like you are resident in the UK and just happen to be doing some work when on holiday, so paying tax in the UK.

Comment

And you’ll be working from 5pm - 11pm local time to match your UK colleagues.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you are not really leaving the UK i.e. you don't intend to spend more than a few weeks in Cambodia then it will be taxable in the UK. If you were to pay any tax in Cambodia they would take that into account.

Strictly speaking this is taxable in Cambodia, but lets face it no tax official there is likely to enquire, therefore you should just simply tax it all as if carried out in the UK.

If you want to stay in Cambodia and tax it there instead of the UK, you would have to register a business, which I would imagine would be very complicated, and almost certainly not possible on a tourist visa.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Just musing straight back at you it sounds like you are resident in the UK and just happen to be doing some work when on holiday, so paying tax in the UK.
          Cheers. That's what I assumed. I was just wondering if at some point duration comes into play.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          And you’ll be working from 5pm - 11pm local time to match your UK colleagues.
          Yeah, I have no idea how it would be. I stayed with a friend in Thailand for a few days last year who worked those hours. He reckoned took a bit of getting used to, but the upsides were worth it. Apparently the burnout factor is amazing and he reckons over half the people who try it just end up either drunks or burnt out, but if you approach with the right mindset "I am working from home so will be at my desk, I won't drink before work" etc it can be very rewarding.

Comment

Almost goes without saying that this isn't sensitive work where the arrangements would annoy client, UK or Cambodian government.

Comment

There's a real gap in the market. a Southeast Asia country should offer 24 month IT contractors visas. Overseas remote work only. 15 to 20% flat tax. Must have full health insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
                the right mindset "I am working from home so will be at my desk, I won't drink before work" etc it can be very rewarding.
                you need a mindset to not drink before work?
                Maybe not being a raging alcoholic would be a starter.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by RyanDS View Post
                  I just got back from Phnom Penh where I was looking I can get a flat for USD200 a month including wifi, air con etc.
                  Is the lifestyle there acceptable to Brits? It looks very hot and humid with huge amounts of heavy rain.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    Is the lifestyle there acceptable to Brits? It looks very hot and humid with huge amounts of heavy rain.
                    I'm South African, been living in UK for 20 years though. I actually miss the heavy rain...

Comment

Working...
                    X