• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about allowable expenses and benefit in kind

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about allowable expenses and benefit in kind

Hello,

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I am not sure about this.

Are there allowable expenses that are also benefit in kind?

I am paying myself a pension, direct contributions from my ltd to my sipp pension provider.
    That is an allowable expense, but, is it also a benefit in kind? Should I put that in the P11D?

As far as I know, allowable expenses are what you need to carry out your business, so, transport cost and meals when visiting my customers are allowable expenses, that is clear to me, and as far as I know that is not benefit in kind so no need to put that in my P11D. But I am not sure about my pension.

Last question, if my P11D is empty, do I have to report it? (I think I am not using any benefit in kind)
    Reading this:
    PAYE: end-of-year expenses and benefits (P11D) - GOV.UK
    "Use form P11D if you’re an employer and need to report end-of-year expenses and benefits for employees and directors."
    I would say I don't have to do anything.

Thanks for clarification.

There is a quick answer to this but that won't address some of the gaps in fundamental knowledge you really need to have.

Request some time with your accountant to explain these things to you. It won't take long.
    Last edited by NCOTBAC; 27 June 2019, 16:50.

Comment

Originally posted by NCOTBAC View Post
      There is a quick answer to this but that won't address some of the gaps in fundamental knowledge you really need to have.

Request some time with your accountant to explain these things to you. It won't take long.
      It might.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo19ip View Post
        Hello,

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but I am not sure about this.

Are there allowable expenses that are also benefit in kind?

I am paying myself a pension, direct contributions from my ltd to my sipp pension provider.
        That is an allowable expense, but, is it also a benefit in kind? Should I put that in the P11D?

As far as I know, allowable expenses are what you need to carry out your business, so, transport cost and meals when visiting my customers are allowable expenses, that is clear to me, and as far as I know that is not benefit in kind so no need to put that in my P11D. But I am not sure about my pension.

Last question, if my P11D is empty, do I have to report it? (I think I am not using any benefit in kind)
        Reading this:
        PAYE: end-of-year expenses and benefits (P11D) - GOV.UK
        "Use form P11D if you’re an employer and need to report end-of-year expenses and benefits for employees and directors."
        I would say I don't have to do anything.

Thanks for clarification.

Yes to your first question.
        No to the second.
        No to the third.
        No to the last one.

HTH
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X