• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Notice Period and Holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notice Period and Holidays

Due to organisational change at my current client, I am likely to be served notice very soon. My notice period is 2 weeks. A couple of months ago I told the client that I would not be available from 9th July as I was going on 2 weeks holiday. I now expect to be given notice the day before I leave. As I would not normally be paid fees while I'm on holiday, I think that they will give me 2 weeks notice and then end up paying me for one day.
    My partner thinks that 2 weeks notice means that I am entitled to two weeks of paid fees.
    The contract isn't very clear. It just says "Notice period: 2 weeks", but states nothing about holidays during that period.
    I can't be the first to encounter this situation.
    Anybody run into this situation before?
    Nic CL

You’ll get 1 day. You’re not a permie, so it’s all about signed timesheets for work done.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Who's wears the contracting pants in your household? You or your partner?

Read your contract. You are a CONTRACTor after all. It's all in there in black and white.
      Last edited by NCOTBAC; 1 July 2019, 20:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Nic2549 View Post
        Due to organisational change at my current client, I am likely to be served notice very soon. My notice period is 2 weeks. A couple of months ago I told the client that I would not be available from 9th July as I was going on 2 weeks holiday. I now expect to be given notice the day before I leave. As I would not normally be paid fees while I'm on holiday, I think that they will give me 2 weeks notice and then end up paying me for one day.
        My partner thinks that 2 weeks notice means that I am entitled to two weeks of paid fees.
        The contract isn't very clear. It just says "Notice period: 2 weeks", but states nothing about holidays during that period.
        Nic CL
        Your partner is wrong. Splash some of your warchest cash on a fancy dinner to show him or her the benefits of a contractor lifestyle. Invite him or her along if you're feeling really flush.

Comment

Nic CL
          In the nicest terms:
          No work, no pay - it is in 99.9% of cases as simple as that.

In the strongest terms:
          Your partner doesn't understand how contracting works, but even worse, neither do you.

Comment

Cancel your holiday if you can, go in 2 weeks time

Your partner is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Nic CL
              Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Cancel your holiday if you can, go in 2 weeks time

Your partner is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              May as well work from home office or work remotely from holiday accommodation.

Comment

Working...
              X