Receiving wages from a US company, any decent banks/money transfer services? Receiving wages from a US company, any decent banks/money transfer services? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 13 of 13

Quote Originally Posted by swissdt View Post
    Thanks Fred!

I signed up for transferwise which impressed me at the intuitiveness and ease of it all, i'll keep xe in mind as a backup too
    BTW, I forgot to ask how you organised things. Did you go the DPNI/PAYE route in the end?

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    BTW, I forgot to ask how you organised things. Did you go the DPNI/PAYE route in the end?
    Thanks for asking James, DPNI seemed perfect UK end, easy to setup and I found a handful of accountants who do it for a raft of clients already, all who had no experience in the US side. It would have to be feasible for the US company from a logistics, cost, and paperwork standpoint.

The US company asked their HR and payroll departments, and they've pretty much said no to it and want to pay me as a contractor, be it a ltd or sole trader.

I did some more work myself to see if I could see an easy way for the US company, speaking to over ten very qualified US tax accountants based in the US, and the IRS a few more times. There was a lot of payroll costs involved, holding back 15% of monies and claiming back through the IRS, compliance, paperwork, the list just went on and on, I wish I would have written it all down, but on the phone it was a mind boggling array of faff, huge amount of hoops to jump through and cost the US company would incur. Every accountant I spoke to advised just to setup my own UK company and bill the US company with the invoice, then they can pay it by bacs/wire/(transferwise now )

So 3 weeks away yet, but leaning again towards sole trader, for sheer simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by swissdt View Post
    Thanks for asking James, DPNI seemed perfect UK end, easy to setup and I found a handful of accountants who do it for a raft of clients already, all who had no experience in the US side. It would have to be feasible for the US company from a logistics, cost, and paperwork standpoint.

The US company asked their HR and payroll departments, and they've pretty much said no to it and want to pay me as a contractor, be it a ltd or sole trader.

I did some more work myself to see if I could see an easy way for the US company, speaking to over ten very qualified US tax accountants based in the US, and the IRS a few more times. There was a lot of payroll costs involved, holding back 15% of monies and claiming back through the IRS, compliance, paperwork, the list just went on and on, I wish I would have written it all down, but on the phone it was a mind boggling array of faff, huge amount of hoops to jump through and cost the US company would incur. Every accountant I spoke to advised just to setup my own UK company and bill the US company with the invoice, then they can pay it by bacs/wire/(transferwise now )

So 3 weeks away yet, but leaning again towards sole trader, for sheer simplicity
    Thanks for taking the time to report back.

I did wonder whether sole trading would end up being the simplest route for you.

Glad you're on the right track and good luck with it all.