• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receiving wages from a US company, any decent banks/money transfer services?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swissdt View Post
    Thanks Fred!

I signed up for transferwise which impressed me at the intuitiveness and ease of it all, i'll keep xe in mind as a backup too
    BTW, I forgot to ask how you organised things. Did you go the DPNI/PAYE route in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      BTW, I forgot to ask how you organised things. Did you go the DPNI/PAYE route in the end?
      Thanks for asking James, DPNI seemed perfect UK end, easy to setup and I found a handful of accountants who do it for a raft of clients already, all who had no experience in the US side. It would have to be feasible for the US company from a logistics, cost, and paperwork standpoint.

The US company asked their HR and payroll departments, and they've pretty much said no to it and want to pay me as a contractor, be it a ltd or sole trader.

I did some more work myself to see if I could see an easy way for the US company, speaking to over ten very qualified US tax accountants based in the US, and the IRS a few more times. There was a lot of payroll costs involved, holding back 15% of monies and claiming back through the IRS, compliance, paperwork, the list just went on and on, I wish I would have written it all down, but on the phone it was a mind boggling array of faff, huge amount of hoops to jump through and cost the US company would incur. Every accountant I spoke to advised just to setup my own UK company and bill the US company with the invoice, then they can pay it by bacs/wire/(transferwise now )

So 3 weeks away yet, but leaning again towards sole trader, for sheer simplicity

Comment

Originally posted by swissdt View Post
        Thanks for asking James, DPNI seemed perfect UK end, easy to setup and I found a handful of accountants who do it for a raft of clients already, all who had no experience in the US side. It would have to be feasible for the US company from a logistics, cost, and paperwork standpoint.

The US company asked their HR and payroll departments, and they've pretty much said no to it and want to pay me as a contractor, be it a ltd or sole trader.

I did some more work myself to see if I could see an easy way for the US company, speaking to over ten very qualified US tax accountants based in the US, and the IRS a few more times. There was a lot of payroll costs involved, holding back 15% of monies and claiming back through the IRS, compliance, paperwork, the list just went on and on, I wish I would have written it all down, but on the phone it was a mind boggling array of faff, huge amount of hoops to jump through and cost the US company would incur. Every accountant I spoke to advised just to setup my own UK company and bill the US company with the invoice, then they can pay it by bacs/wire/(transferwise now )

So 3 weeks away yet, but leaning again towards sole trader, for sheer simplicity
        Thanks for taking the time to report back.

I did wonder whether sole trading would end up being the simplest route for you.

Glad you're on the right track and good luck with it all.

Comment

Working...
        X