• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Travel Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh. Just me then..

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends on how much you want the work until October and how confident you are about finding something else (or not being bothered if you don't). Don't know how long you have been there but it might be an extension too far?

Having to sort your own flights out suggests doesn't exactly suggest they are planning to look after you out there.

That said, if you fancy the adventure then why not?

Comment

It’s paying out of my own pocket and then possibly (probably?) have to wait until November for the company reimburse me that I would object to.

You’re going to clock up £1-2K+ you know.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by iguy2008 View Post
          Hi

So clientco has decided to throw out all its contractors and go with SI's only from July 1st. I'm one of the "lucky" ones with an extension until end of October.

Today, the project sponsor suggests the SI team and I go to Asia for a week (16 hours door to door each way) to meet with the support team whom will support the system when our project goes live.

Enquiring a little further I'm told that all travel will be

(a) Economy.
          (b) At weekends on my own time.
          (c) At my own expense to reimburse from the company.
          (d) No travel time or TOIL
          (e) Long days in Asia where they do the Asia day and spill over into european time.

There is nothing in my contract re foreign travel and no chance of a renewal in November.

So, I'm looking for advice on whether to suck it up or say sorry but this is not reasonable and push for 2 days invoicing.

Thanks - iguy.
          Book that week off as leave (or unavailable if you prefer).

Comment

Originally posted by iguy2008 View Post
            Hi

So clientco has decided to throw out all its contractors and go with SI's only from July 1st. I'm one of the "lucky" ones with an extension until end of October.

Today, the project sponsor suggests the SI team and I go to Asia for a week (16 hours door to door each way) to meet with the support team whom will support the system when our project goes live.

Enquiring a little further I'm told that all travel will be

(a) Economy.
            (b) At weekends on my own time.
            (c) At my own expense to reimburse from the company.
            (d) No travel time or TOIL
            (e) Long days in Asia where they do the Asia day and spill over into european time.

There is nothing in my contract re foreign travel and no chance of a renewal in November.

So, I'm looking for advice on whether to suck it up or say sorry but this is not reasonable and push for 2 days invoicing.

Thanks - iguy.
            No chance.

The only thing in the list that I'd accept is that I'd sort my own travel and expense it back (depending on invoice terms).

Economy to Asia - no thanks. It's a long way to be squished in, unless you are tiny. If I've been in economy for any length of time, I need longer to recover and catch up.

Weekends - OK but I'll charge for the time. I'm travelling for them, not for me. It's work.

Long days - depends how long the day is. I've worked 11am to 9pm and a bit longer to cover the time changes.

Tell them that you'd love to do it, but...
            I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Travel Time

Get together with all other people they plan to send over and agree between yourselves a collective approach

Business class
              Paid travel
              ToIL
              8 hour days
              Accommodation + food etc

Then present that to management as what you all would be prepared to accept

Same approach if just you

What is economy class ?

Comment

If this is a bank this is your last opportunity to coin it as a contractor

Contracting dead in the Finance sector

There will be jobs but not as a contractor for a bank.

Therefore ask nicely for a business class and a bit more money or an exemption but just say yes when they refuse, and focus on looking for new opportunities.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Therefore ask nicely for a business class and a bit more money or an exemption but just say yes when they refuse, and focus on looking for new opportunities.
                  Scary stuff

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                    Scary stuff
                    depends if you scare easily

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I will give them 6-12m for their projects to completely tank, then they will swiftly reconsider and go down a sensible road like RBS and plethora of public sector organisations which actually bother to "apply" the regulations, instead of side stepping them.

New challenger banks like Monzo and Starling are gaining momentum based on streamlined IT and if the old behemoths want to remain relevant, they will need a lot of investment in IT transformation. GL achieving anything positive with permies.

On the main topic - I would at least demand 1 day per flight if it's 8h+, longer hours over there are OK if less than 12, that's why it's day rate after all. Weekend work I would expect remuneration as per the contract.

Keep in mind that in the light of the situation, they might find you replaceable and terminate you contract on the spot, should you refuse to go on the trip, so weight in that risk/cost as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X