• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance journalist asked for UTR by Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New client has agreed to engage services of freelance journalist on a casual fixed price per piece basis.

The client's accounting department have requested the self employed services provider's UTR number.

I've only ever heard of this in the construction industry and was given to understand UTR is otherwise supposed to be confidential.

Has anyone else ever been asked to disclose this information to their client or have any ideas on justification?

Might be part of their due diligence. Or they want you PAYE, but if that were the case I’d expect them to ask for your p45.

Ask ‘em why they want it.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Have you asked the client?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Sounds like due diligence to me. It's likely the freelancer isn't setup as a company and the client what's to ensure that they are registered as self employed by asking for the UTR.

Comment

I doubt there's anything dodgy here. Whilst it's not the client's job to ensure freelancers who work for them pay the right taxes, I think it could be argued to be responsible practice by them to at least ensure you're registered for self assessment. Minimises the risk you later say "Oh, I assumed it all went via their payroll" or something like that.

Comment

Not dodgy, you will be also giving them your bank account details. They want to make sure that you are registered and paying tax.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
            X