Keeping money in your company, or withdrawing it Keeping money in your company, or withdrawing it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    45

    Default Keeping money in your company, or withdrawing it

    Hi all,

    Embrasing question this but I need wisdom.

    For years now I tried to build up a certain amount of cash in my company, a buffer so to speak. However Im starting to feel this may be the wrong strategy as this is then seen as profit and I pay a ton of corp tax.

    Therefore is the wiser move to literally take the money out as divys ? Get with the tax, rather that be hit with corp tax, and then personal tax when I eventually withdraw it later ?

    E.G. Let's say 100K a year, expenses + sal + adhoc paid, I have 25K in the company. I then pay corp tax on this. Should I then take a 25K divy leaving nothing ?

    I tend to let me account do all the tax calculation. I asked him the above and he hasnt answers, so thought I might ask you guys.

    What do you guys do ?

    SBK

  2. #2

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,159

    Default

    Where does corporation tax come into the equation? You pay CT on your company profits regardless of what you then do with the profits you have left. You take dividends from post tax profits.

    It’s always wise to leave a buffer or warchest on YourCo. Fully utilise your basic rate band and leave the rest for a rainy day.

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,685

    Default

    You can't reduce Corp Tax by taking dividends.

    You can reduce it by paying yourself a larger salary but that would be poor tax planning.

    You can also reduce it by making large pension contributions from your company into your own pension. That might be very good tax planning if you are happy to lock the funds away until retirement.

    Edit: you probably need to do a lot more reading in the guides on the right side bar and then talk to your accountant about tax efficiency.

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    1,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBK1972 View Post
    However Im starting to feel this may be the wrong strategy as this is then seen as profit and I pay a ton of corp tax.

    Therefore is the wiser move to literally take the money out as divys ? Get with the tax, rather that be hit with corp tax, and then personal tax when I eventually withdraw it later ?
    Dividends have zero impact on the company's taxable profit, so afraid you're misguided here.

    If you want to reduce corporation tax and don't need all the money from the company, pension contributions may be a good option for you.

    Alternatively your options are:
    - take it all out as dividends and suffer fairly high corporation tax and personal tax.
    - take only modest dividends leaving a growing cash pot in the company. Still suffer fairly high corporation tax, but lower personal tax.

  5. #5

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41,669

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBK1972 View Post
    I tend to let me account do all the tax calculation. I asked him the above and he hasnt answers, so thought I might ask you guys.
    If your accountant is not helping you with the absolute fundamentals of your finance and leaving you in this state you seriously need to get a new one. Its absolutely ridiculous they aren't putting you right here.

    That said CT is probably covered on page one of business tax for dummies so you should do a bit of reading yourself in the meantime.

    For years now I tried to build up a certain amount of cash in my company, a buffer so to speak. However Im starting to feel this may be the wrong strategy as this is then seen as profit and I pay a ton of corp tax.
    So this is not the wrong strategy. You need 6 months + of money at full rate to be really comfortable. The more the better.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 16th July 2019 at 09:41.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...

    Jess inniAccounts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBK1972 View Post
    Hi all,

    Embrasing question this but I need wisdom.

    For years now I tried to build up a certain amount of cash in my company, a buffer so to speak. However Im starting to feel this may be the wrong strategy as this is then seen as profit and I pay a ton of corp tax.

    Therefore is the wiser move to literally take the money out as divys ? Get with the tax, rather that be hit with corp tax, and then personal tax when I eventually withdraw it later ?

    E.G. Let's say 100K a year, expenses + sal + adhoc paid, I have 25K in the company. I then pay corp tax on this. Should I then take a 25K divy leaving nothing ?

    I tend to let me account do all the tax calculation. I asked him the above and he hasnt answers, so thought I might ask you guys.

    What do you guys do ?

    SBK
    Leaving money in your company will not attract Corp Tax, this is already payable on your profits. Most contractors take a low salary, say up to the NI threshold, then dividends to withdraw the rest of the money they need to live (as dividends are taxed less than salary).

    This is basic stuff for your accountant and, as these guys have said, if they aren't giving you this advice, they're not right for you!

    You can reduce your Corp Tax liability with expenses, pension is a big one. Have a look here for a list of allowable expenses or a quick Google should help.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,271

    Default

    Leaving cash in the company is a good idea as you can pay dividends when you're not working and probably reduce the amount of tax you pay. You may want to invest it though.
    I'm alright Jack

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    41,669

    Default

    I'm rather stunned to read this question and then find you've been contracting 24 years!!

    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post1010895

    You are in your late 40's but have only been putting 300 quid in to a pension for three years?
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2336789

    Might be worth re-visiting that if you think you are cash heavy.

    Did you not learn the basics of CT from this question a few years ago?
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2336654

    You said your accountant was useful in 2016. Why have you not changed them yet?
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2336736
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Potters Bar, UK
    Posts
    6

    Post

    As everyone has said previously, once you’ve paid CT on your company profits you may consider a combination of salary, dividends, pension and claiming applicable expenses to reduce your tax liability. However the best tax planning option for you depends on your personal circumstances, which you (and your accountant) should know best.

    Regarding leaving money in the company, it is smart to leave at least some in the company for future planning, and depending on how long you are going to use the company you could consider Members Voluntary Liquidation (MVL) or capital distribution as additional tax saving options when you wind up the company one day. But again these aren’t right for everyone and your accountant should advise.
    Churchill Knight & Associates Ltd.

  10. #10

    Ddraig Goch


    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Cymru
    Posts
    10,303

    Default

    Take it all out in Dividends and spend it.....

    Otherwise, when you've not got a gig you can't claim JSA... #justsaying
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •