• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sign a new contract while already on another contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign a new contract while already on another contract

I got stuck looking for a new contract in the beginning of the summer, when there is no much work available.

In the end, after struggling, I found myself with two offers:

- The first offer paid less and was a step backwards for my career, but they could let me start straight away: let's call this "Company A"
    - The second offer paid more and was good for my CV, but I had to wait at least one month before starting, and possibly even more: let's call this "Company B"

I accepted the offer by A (the one I didn't like) because I needed money immediately; but, after a while, the guys of B proposed me to work a bit for them part time, and finally, in autumn, to quit the contract with A and sign a full time contract with them (with B).

So, currently I have already signed a contract for six months with A, plus a two months part time contract with B (I am going to carry out both in the same time), and I need to sign a third contract, full time, with B, that states I am going to start in autumn, while I am officially still under contract with A.

Now, contract with A has one week notice, and my common sense tells me that it shouldn't be a problem quitting it; especially because I'll tell them with much more advance than one week, probably I'll tell them one month before so they have time to find someone else. I am professional, etc, and I don't see any reason why they should make troubles. I would be quitting after three months, exactly half the way through.

That was my common sense, but I know that there are many things I don't know... Is anyone aware of any well-known pitfall or risk that I might be putting myself into?

I read both contracts very carefully (for A and B), and, while both do say that warrant I am not breaching any obligation with a third party, I think am not going to breach any obligation with anyone: because I'll work part time for B a couple of hours a day during the evenings, 100% outside my schedule with A.

Thanks

Running two contracts concurrently is fine. So long as they're not competitors, it shouldn't be a problem. The clients do not need to know about each other.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Get your contracts checked properly. It's contracting 101. Go to QDOS, Baur & Cottrell and the like
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would try and complete your contract with company A, just because you might want to go back at some point; leaving early is no problem but will probably exclude you from future contracts.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          I would try and complete your contract with company A, just because you might want to go back at some point; leaving early is no problem but will probably exclude you from future contracts.
          it's not always a question of just completing your contract with a company. Some see it as completing the project.

I was at LTSB on a 3 monther and for reasons Ive already mentioned elsewhere, decided not to renew and go elsewhere.

All fine and dandy.

Couple of years later, agents contact me about LBG (as they now were) roles. Got submitted loads of times but knocked back every time. Agents still contacted me but I said not interested as I was clearly being black balled for some reason.

One agent got back to me and said it was because I didnt complete an assignment at Lloyds. I told him I did but chose not to renew. Just sayin'!
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
          X