• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working past contract end date

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working past contract end date

Because of a cockup I've worked a week past my contract end date.

The agency hasn't spoken to me at all, usually they'd be hounding me for renewal etc. but they're so badly managed and disorganised.

I only realised when today I got a vague e-mail from one of their bods saying they had a payment issue this week and will make a double payment next week and checked my contract. Verbally I recall conversations around finishing on the 26th so I wasn't very vigilant.

I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence that they haven't paid so I will get on the blower to them soon, but just wondering what it might mean, I guess they could refuse to pay for the past 5 days?

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    Because of a cockup I've worked a week past my contract end date.

The agency hasn't spoken to me at all, usually they'd be hounding me for renewal etc. but they're so badly managed and disorganised.

I only realised when today I got a vague e-mail from one of their bods saying they had a payment issue this week and will make a double payment next week and checked my contract. Verbally I recall conversations around finishing on the 26th so I wasn't very vigilant.

I find it hard to believe it's a coincidence that they haven't paid so I will get on the blower to them soon, but just wondering what it might mean, I guess they could refuse to pay for the past 5 days?
    tell them to sort it quick/sharp or you're going to invoice the client directly.
    That'll make 'em move.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      tell them to sort it quick/sharp or you're going to invoice the client directly.
      That'll make 'em move.
      Client will probably tulip themselves when they see the recruiter margin

Comment

If you carry on working then by default existing terms are continued. In theory.

In practice I would never work a day without a signed contract.

Comment

This happened to me a number of times, the paperwork sometimes gets held up, however I already had verbal assurances about renewal.

I would just check with the agent. If the client didn't want the renewal they would have sent you home.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Not really. You've moved on to an implied contract. They've let you on site, you've done the work so you expect the pay. They've accepted the previous T&C's so nothing has really changed.

Not an ideal situation though as there is no clarity so the agent might not agree to this and a right bun fight starts. You are covered legally but if it hits the fan it's going to be a mess.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The potential bun-fight with the agency is more of a theoretical problem. A bad agency will simply go into liquidation and a contract doesn't help. This happens all the time.
              I've never seen anyone on here who began a renewal without the paperwork and ended up in a dispute with the agency.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                Client will probably tulip themselves when they see the recruiter margin
                I wasn't saying that you should invice the client. That would be a breach of contract.

Just tell the agent you will. It will focus their attention to the matter in hand.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Cheers folks, supposedly they're gonna talk to the client and draw up a new contract. Client is keen for me to stay as we're half way through a project.

Agent sounds like they don't give a flying **** about anything, which is rare, usually they're all over you calling non stop to make sure you're going to renew.

But they pay on time and fast, usually, sounds like they just had a cock up this week. So we'll see what happens.

Comment

I think this is where you being somewhat "business minded" is very very important, because there's no easy answer.

I've done both - played hard ball and ended up with days at home, and I've worked out of contract. You need to weigh up the clients attitude, their response, the likelihood of you being paid, the likelyhood of you not being paid etc.

For me, the two examples were pretty much polar opposites - one was a dull as dishwater project with $BigIntegrator, that involved staying away. Given their love of paperwork and process, I played it firmly but politely and said I couldn't come down to site and book hotels without that paperwork.

The other was a smaller firm, and I was upselling myself for some seriously cool project work. So I let it slide - no dramas, still billed it.

Comment

Working...
                    X