• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses Out of Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Did you fail at that as well?
    No. Surprising, huh? My wife just reminded me of the time that after the kids went to bed, we'd play Crazy Taxi. My son was really annoyed when he started the Gamecube up, and found that we had the top ten high scores. *sigh* I rarely have the time anymore to play. Maybe I should retire.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      No. Surprising, huh? My wife just reminded me of the time that after the kids went to bed, we'd play Crazy Taxi. My son was really annoyed when he started the Gamecube up, and found that we had the top ten high scores. *sigh* I rarely have the time anymore to play. Maybe I should retire.
      Is that what you call it over there
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        Really? Last time I was benched I used my computer to get really really good at Worms Armageddon.
        Well... that as well.

But I stand by my original comment!
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is that what you call it over there
          I think he may be thinking of Fake Taxi.

Gotta earn money on the bench somehow, I guess!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            Wait a minute.....

do we have absolute agreement from EVERYONE?!?

seems suspicious to me!
            Lets hope his accountant doesn't use this forum...
            "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              OP needs to change their 'accountant.'

I suspect the accountant 'knows' the new PC is not going to be used by the business and is just using the 'wholly and exclusive' and being out of contract as a reason not to allow it as a business expense.
              And how is that any of his business...?
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

One does wonder what in the world the accountant was told that made him say this.

Sometimes, of course, people described on the Internet are complete idiots. But maybe OP let it slip that he's taking six months bench time to try to become the Minecraft world champion, or something, and the accountant might have a point.

Or, maybe he's a complete idiot.

What exactly did you tell him?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                  One does wonder what in the world the accountant was told that made him say this.

Sometimes, of course, people described on the Internet are complete idiots. But maybe OP let it slip that he's taking six months bench time to try to become the Minecraft world champion, or something, and the accountant might have a point.

Or, maybe he's a complete idiot.

What exactly did you tell him?
                  I wish...

Conversation was basically:

Me: My old PC is on its last legs. I'm getting a new one.
                  Acct: OK, I see your contract is finished. What client are you working at now?
                  Me: I'm currently looking for a new one.
                  Acct: If you're not trading then HMRC won't allow this as an expense.
                  Me: I am trading - I just don't have a customer right now. Anyway, I'm not buying it for a client. It's for operating my own company.
                  Acct: Then you can't expense it. You'll have to buy it privately now and then expense it later once you have a client.
                  Me: What???!!! It's for my company. It's not for a client. Why does my unknown next client have any interest in my company PC?
                  Acct: Just Because(*)

(*) Or some other meaninglessness

I'm thinking of getting my next door neighbour as a "client" and charge him £2 to set up his Netflix account. Then I can ask my accountant to expense my PC against it

Or, perhaps more sensibly, change accountants....

Comment

Originally posted by whatnow View Post
                    Acct: Just Because(*)

(*) Or some other meaninglessness
                    That would have been the interesting bit, to see his justification but...
                    Or, perhaps more sensibly, change accountants....
                    This and be done with it.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That would have been the interesting bit, to see his justification but...

This and be done with it.
                      I can't remember the exact wording but it was just reiterating the previous point: if I don't have a client then HMRC would say that the expense cannot be for my current trade of my business.

Comment

Working...
                      X